Sebbie Gosling colors? What determines Sex? What determines Colors?

MrsCountryChick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
PA
I know there are many of you Long Time geese breeders Very Experienced in Determining definate info on goslings after hatching by colors.
smile.png
I'm wondering what differances determine Sex? & what differences determine wether you have a White Sebbie or a Saddleback Sebbie?

I read there is also a "Splash" Sebbie color of white with splashes of some random colored feathers on the body, with a total white head. What color differances would determine this as a gosling?

banter

Songster
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
Raymond Maine
Splashes usually result in a white/color combo. In my experience, I got a solid gray female and 5 male splashes from a white to gray breeding. I don't know the color of either parent's parents, however, and that could make a huge difference! From a blue to gray breeding I got 3 blue and two gray. The gray had a solid white mother. No idea of the color of the blue's parents. This is the first year I'll have a gray/saddleback breeding-no clue what I'll get! The genetics of colors are very complicated! Good luck!
If you do a Seb search on this site, you will find many of the pics I and others have posted.

MrsCountryChick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
PA
Thanks for the info
smile.png
I'll have to search for other color posts. I find the splash color Adorable. Although mine are all pure white.

TennesseeTruly

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Church Hill, TN
I've been to Dorothy's place and I have to tell you that her Sebbies are gorgeous!! She has so many different colors and they're so beautiful. It's paradise just being there and seeing all of them.

Laurie

Golden Valley Farm

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 12, 2009
A Gray to a gray saddleback if the gray was not a carrier would result in all solid gray color and offspring would be SB carriers. If you use a white female bred to a colored gander the females will be colored and the ganders will be splashed . If you use a colored female to a white gander then you will have colored sons and splashed females. You are so right though , it is hard to understand color genetics.

Cottage Rose

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Mid west Michigan
It all depends on the genetics.
Since one typically does not know the genetics behind their bird
there is no way of pre-determining what colors you will get.
Much to my surprise I got gray saddlebacks and solid grays from a white goose
(from white parents and grandparents) bred to a saddleback gander.
Sometime during the off season (because he's too busy now) you should call Dave Holderread.
He has been breeding colored Sebastopols longer than anybody that I know of.
We do have some info on breeding colored Sebastopols on the Sebastopol forum.
Unfortunately there is no genetic documentation on breeding colored Sebastopols.
http://www.sebastopols.freeforums.org/

banter

Songster
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
Raymond Maine
Quote:
Of eggs I sold from the breeding of a white female to a gray gander 2 female splashes were hatched (and laid eggs) out of 20 or so eggs from the gray gander/white goose breeding.. That IS IF my information is correct. There seems to be exceptions! The gander was a gray from Holderreads and the female I hatched from an egg from a Texas breeder. No clue what the color was of the grandparents.

Last edited:

Golden Valley Farm

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 12, 2009
If you get colored out of white birds they must be mixed somewhere down the line like the colored birds especially bred back to a saddleback, as that generally produces white and white with some dark spotting.

banter

Songster
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
Raymond Maine
So is there no such thing as a splash (or spotted) Seb female? Are they considered a derivative of a saddleback? I am talking of colored to white, not white to white.

Last edited:

Top Bottom