1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sebbie Gosling Price?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Feb 6, 2009.

1. I was looking at Metzer Farms site and they have Sebbie goslings for $54.95 each. Is this reasonable? I have no idea, all I know is that I REALLY want a pair of Sebbie Geese!

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Unfortunately that is what I have been seeing them for, too. [​IMG] I've gotten a lot of poultry catalogs, and the ones that carry Sebastopols are running $50-60 a piece.

If anyone knows of a place to get them cheaper, let us know! [​IMG]

Shelly

3. Anyone have hatching eggs? How much? What is the gestation on goose eggs?

4. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

They were selling them at our local feedstore last year for 100 bucks apiece!!! They're cute, they ain't that cute.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I believe one of the reasons for that price tag on those geese has something to do with how hard they are to hatch. Ask anyone who has hatched goslings and they will more than likely tell you the same. Hatching eggs aren't cheep either. [​IMG]

6. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    There has been a price increase just like with everything else, it gets passed along to the consumer.
    The average price for day old Sebs was $40. for a long time.
    I've kept my prices the same despite my feed bill going way up to keep gosling's affordable for those who want them.
    Hatching eggs are such a gamble.
    Even if they come from a good source, shipping them jostles and ruins many of them. Plus waterfowl are harder to hatch out than chicken eggs.
    Its really worth it to buy lives.
    Try to find some Sebs in your area to save on shipping but shipping day olds is very reasonable.
    Around $20. - $30.
    Good luck!

Oh and BTW...Sebastopols ARE worth ever penny!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  7. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    If you don't have to absolutely have to have a baby, many fanciers reduce
    their flocks at the end of the summer or early fall to have just breeding
    stock. If you aren't going to show all you need to look for is health, temperament, and the color you want. There seemed to be a lot of Sebs for sale last fall.

8. trailhound

trailhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    I recently found out about this breed and now I really want some. Someone in my area is taking orders for spring goslings for $50. I am just having a hard time with the price, not because I don't think they are worth it, more to justify it for something pretty to look at in the yard. Once they are hatched out are the goslings pretty hardy and easy to raise and keep alive? I never considered getting geese, but this breed appeals to me because they are so pretty and seem to have a pleasant temperament.

9. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
  10. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    They are defiantly more than pretty lawn ornaments...they're like dogs with feathers
    and much more fun to own than chickens or ducks.
    I only wish I had gotten some years ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by