Sebbie males fighting-what to do?

daze333

Songster
11 Years
Dec 26, 2008
Port Angeles, WA
I have 3 female and 2 male sebbies. They came from two different flocks. One pair and the trio. Sometimes they kinda split up into these groups. But when inside their pen at night I think they are fighting. Sometimes I here loud honking and my daughter has seen them lock necks. The nicer of the two males has two large feathers on his wings broken off and have dried blood on them. I feel bad for him, the other male is more ornery/protective. The ornery male's girl is laying and often on her nest.

I don't like fighting males, should I separate them somehow? Try to make a bigger night time pen? I hate to move them when she is laying and has a nest.

Please advise me sebbie experts!

I would sure separate them as they may hurt each other or another female in the process of who gets the females. It should be early enough if you have to move the female and she will take a new spot for her nest, or move 1 gander. Hope that helps.

Will this get better with time or after breeding season? I don't want to permanently have two flocks of sebbies. Would it be advisable to get rid of one of the boys? If so, which one the aggressive one or the nice one?

Your problems are similar to mine... only difference is that mine also have conflict as their leader was killed by a predator so there is contention for a new leader too! I am giving mine a while to see if the problems will resolve in so much as the aggressive behaviour will diminish soon - if not - I have no choice but to cull some of them, I hate to see such damage done in their fights as i am sure you do too!

best of luck!

See "Havoc"

Also - Boss An Honourable Death

Problems abound here!!!

Suzie

Just send the naughty one down to me, I dont might a naughty goose
lol.png

Quote:
Hi Suzie,
I read some of your posts on losing Boss. So sorry about that! That has got to be a hard thing to lose one of your favorites! I hope one of his little ones becomes a lot like him! Thank you for your encouragement!
Sherry

Quote:
This is pretty much the case. I have a mean ol' gander who is always at the bottom of any fight. One day he was being so mean, not letting go of his victem, I took a piece of 2x2 redwood and chased him around, whopping him on the shoulders.

Geese are kind of .... jerks.

Back
Top Bottom