Sebbie mix goose having trouble walking...

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    One of my four Sebbie mixes, pretty certain she is a goose, has been laying down alot and acting like maybe her foot hurts her. I've been hearing about different peeps on here that have geese having a weird laying period. My girl should be old enough to lay, so not certain if she is trying to lay an egg (it being her first one), or if her foot hurts? Leaning more twards the latter.

I caught her, and put her in a clean pen with fresh hay. The pen is 3' by 3' I think, it's big enough where she can walk a little but still las plenty of space to lay down. When I picked her up she just went limp in my arms and didn't struggle much, like I thought she would. I'm thinking she liked the relief it took off her foot. Then when I set her in the pen she allowed me to gentle put her down and she didn't move from where I sat her. In a minute or two, she'd get up and walk around and call to her buddies outside, and then lay down again. I'm going to keep her penned by herself so she doesn't have to use her feet any more then she has to. I might also give her a pool just to lay in, that might feel good to her.
    Any advice would be great. Thanks so much

~ Aspen

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Did you look on the bottom of her foot to see if she might have bumble foot? blk scab swollen area. Maybe some epsom salt compress if you can find a wound or redness. Getting her in a smaller area where she can rest from trying to keep up with the flock may help too.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    aspen, give her feet a good once over for sure looking for injury or infection as Lydia mentioned. If that isnt it, keeping her pens for a week of rest and recovery might be in order. The silly things forget to look down and trip and strain their legs and hips easily.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Thanks for the help. I'll be gone pretty much all day tomorrow, but when I get back I'll give her a good look over. I'm sure we have some of that laying around here, and if she has some sore spots I'll soak her feet in it.

They've been running around alot more the last couple of days as it's been cool, wet, and there are lots of puddles to get into! LOL

I'll keep you updated, and will post pictures if I find anything of interest on her footies.

~ Aspen

5. Gracie9205

Gracie9205 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    Any progress? I just rescued a goose that seems to have the same problem. She has no visible signs of injury and is otherwise good body condition. She just can't seem to get the strength in her legs to walk. We have had her less than a day now. Hopefully some food and a little rest will help.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Might want to give her some kind of vitamins with niacin in them. even though niacin is used on young ducklings with leg issues that are not getting what they need in chicken starter, it wouldn't hurt to give your goose some.

7. Gracie9205

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    That was my plan. The only things I can think of are slipped tendon, niacin deficiency, or maybe even just neglect. I'm going to check her when I get home, and if the tendons look good then it will just be a little rest, good food, and some vitamins.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hopefully some good TLC will do the trick. let us know how she is and pics when you can.

9. Gracie9205

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    No problems with her legs. Due to the way she dove into the food I gave her, I think it may have something to do with her diet. She seemed to be in decent physical condition, but maybe she just wasn't getting the nutrients she needed. I'll update on her status in a few days!

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good news! Hopefully some good food, and TLC will be all thats needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by