Sebbie ?s- beak & feet/leg color

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cherub78, Apr 20, 2009.

1. cherub78

cherub78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    My sebbie is 3 1/2 weeks old. The feathering is just starting to change a little.

Her beak and feet/legs are VERY pale, and I am wondering if it is a diet issue??? Not just a little, but almost a pale beige color.

All of the pics I see the beak and feet/legs are quite orange-y color.

Do you think something is wrong? Also, she seems rather clumsy (I am just adding this in case it is important to the other question).

Thanks,
    Sharon

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What are you feeding the gosling?

3. cherub78

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    At this point just the non-medicated starter feed.

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What brand of chick starter are you using?

Geese need more than just chick starter. They need some added B vitamins which you can sprinkle brewers yeast on the feed to help them out. In a perfect world feed stores would carry waterfowl feed but even the ones that sell ducks don't seem to know they need to stock other feeds. Actually Purina Flock Raiser is one of the better feeds when waterfowl feeds are not available. After 4 - 6 weeks you'll want to put the gosling on the flock raiser.

Also they need greens to eat.

Geese are herbivores and do best with fresh greens to eat.

Since it is spring you should be able to clip grass and float it on the babies water for it to eat.

Also you may be looking at other dietary issues.

Give the gosling 3 - 5 drops of polyvisol liquid baby vitamins (no iron formula - just the simple water soluable formula) once a day over the next 5 days.

I always recommend a green smoothie for them as well.

Puree grass, spinach, lettuce etc until it is thick and smooth (almost like a pesto) then add some organic plain yogurt to it. Add just enough water to thin it out like a smoothie.

I offer this daily for first 3 - 4 weeks.

It really gives them a healthy burst.

I do not believe that any animal that consumes only commercial feed is at its healthiest. They need fresh food too.

Geese are not meat eaters so they won't enjoy bugs or anything but if you can give you gosling some time outside on the ground you should see some improvement if the eating habits improve.

5. cherub78

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    Thank you so much. I will give this a try and hopefully things will improve.

Should I give her the drops of vitamins straight from the dropper or in her water?

Thanks again
    Sharon

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would give it to her from the dropper. She will shake her head alot and fling them off if she can but you'll get more in her by giving it from the dropper. 3 - 5 small drops only.

7. chickygirl2

chickygirl2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    upper marlboro. md
    Can you post a picture of her?

8. cherub78

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    Quote:I will try to take a pic later today and post it.

Sharon

9. carinlynchin

carinlynchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    that is how it seemed to start with my babies...I had them on chick starter that this certain feed store said was okay for waterfowl...then later they sold my boyfriend the same exact stuff when he said he needed laying feed fo rthe chickens....odd.....

so thanks to the nice person that sold him to me, she told me to get the dumor from TSC that says geese on it...along with other breeds...and since I've had him on it he seems to be getting better. I am also treating him for coccidiosis just in case (according to teh vet, not by seeing him , but just by me telling the symptoms, this is what she thinks he had).

10. cherub78

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    It wasn't easy getting a pic of her- she is way too active to hold still for a pic. It was pouring and high winds yesterday, so I had to take it while she was in the brooder. This is the best I was able to get. Hopefully it is clear enough to give you an idea of what I mean. She is at that awkward stage and looks a little funny right now.

[​IMG]

I am listening to everyone's suggestions and trying a different diet and vitamins. I will let you know how she does with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by