Sebbies are Very Cool

Wyorooster

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 26, 2012
Lander, Wyoming
Well Hello Goose Lovers

I have discovered Sebastopol Geese they sure are cool . So I found a breeder who happened to have some babies ( by luck order was canceled) Marlene Nolting out of Iowa www.loganet.net/~nolting1 . So I got 4 very nice white sebbies they are doing great. So then I start thinking I need some color. The search was on I found Priscilla Meinholz site www.woolfarm.com and made the call. I order 4 more babies a mix of saddle backs and buff it looks like, we shall see. I am loving the new family Chickens and Geese and my wife and kids are loving it also. So I have been very busy building pens and houses for the gang. So are there any down sides to having Sebastopol geese? Just trying to find out all I can and what to prepare for.
ReplyQuote Multi
ReplyQuote Multi

They steal your heart :D

Actually make sure you have good housing they don't shed water like a duck or smooth goose so can become wet, chilled easier than others. They will go out in the rain and cold, but just be sure they have shelter if they chose to not be in the weather.

Oh and where are your pictures?

I am in Kansas and my Sebastopol geese live outside year around with no shelter.. We had 15 inches of snow right before Christmas and they have fresh bedding to sleep on and some were covered in snow and just stand up and shake off. They have access to huts but choose not to use them even in a blizzard. Not to say that it isn't freaky to see them covered in snow but I have never lost one to weather conditions.

I have a pole barn that I intend for them to use as shelter. I am building giant dog houses 4 x8 to keep in the barn for a warmer place for them to survive our Wyoming Winter nights. It is not uncommon for us to get 3 feet of snow early in the winter and have it here till May. Or the temp to stay below -30 for weeks on end.

Back
Top Bottom