Sebright and a Japanese?!?!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by olp_63, Aug 15, 2008.

1. olp_63

olp_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our bantams are only about 9 weeks old right now, but we've been pondering the thought of breeding them in the FAR future. I had a crazy idea for a mix breed: Is it possible to cross a Silver Sebright roo and a Black Tailed Buff Japanese hen?

I've heard things about the difficulties of breeding Japanese bantams. Is there anything I should know before I get too excited?

Also, if this IS possible, what would most likely be the outcome? What would the offspring most likely look like?

2. olp_63

olp_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

??? [​IMG]

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    What I have heard about the Japanese is that a lot of them die in the shell. Some cant get out because of their legs being too short to push around the egg right before the hatch.

4. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    I had sebrightXjapanese bantams for a couple years, mine were a cross with golden sebright and black tailed buff jap. Looked like an oversized sebright with single comb, a buff'ish gold colour and buff and black tippe buff feathers....... were all spastic little buggers though. I love my sebrights, but I have never care much for the Japs, the crosses definitly got the jap character.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    My japanese are very loving, but you have to spend a bit of time with them. As babys they are a bit aggresive but settle down quite quickly when you hold them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by