Sebright Bantam Breeders

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CaSebrightFan, Jan 31, 2012.

1. CaSebrightFan

CaSebrightFan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2012
    Northern California
    If you breed sebrights I would like to know. I started breeding them last year but as of right now I only have hatchery birds. I have silver and gold I am looking into buying show quality birds in silver and gold. I would also like to get my hands on some buffs, citrons lavenders and other varieties out there.

2. CaSebrightFan

Jan 9, 2012
    Northern California
    ???

3. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    I got mine from a local guy who got his from....grrr...I knew the name. Mine are show quality. I've only gotten one egg so far. Can't wait for more.

4. CaSebrightFan

Jan 9, 2012
    Northern California
    Awesome I get about 2 eggs a day from my 4 pullets. Do you have silvers or golds?

5. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Mine are silver. I've got 2 pullets and 1 roo. I believe 1 of my pullets must be younger by about a month, as her comb (tiny) is still light pink, and the other is red.

6. CaSebrightFan

Jan 9, 2012
    Northern California
    Nice, I have a gold roo 2 gold pullets and 2 silver pullets. It could just be that is the tone of her comb. I am trying to find a SQ silver roo.

7. RSMJR

RSMJR New Egg

Apr 18, 2012
    Hi I am just show chickens and have a silver sebright I was wondering if u had any contacts on we're to get good quality sebrights?

8. CaSebrightFan

Jan 9, 2012
    Northern California
    I'm so excited my last little silver girl I have left (raccoons are not my friends) hatched three chicks about a week ago. She went broody and hatched them all on her own and she is a wonderful mother. So far the chicks are very healthy and doing great. She is SQ but since my SQ gold roo was eaten by coons along with his 2 gold pullets, the father is a gold/silver split. He's not the best quality, so we'll have to see how they turn out.

9. CaSebrightFan

Jan 9, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

Here they are with momma!

10. stevearino

stevearino Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Southeast Arizona
    I just bought some show quality sebrights a week or so ago. The man who sold them to me is very active in the show community, both with sebrights as well as quail and pigeons. I bought 3 golden sebrights (1 male, 2 females) and 3 buff sebrights (1 male, 2 females also). I am super excited to learn about this breed, as I fell in love with the bird when I saw the picture. Beautiful feathering!

For those who have been doing this breed for a while, I have a question. The man who sold me mine mentioned in passing that it does not matter which of the two males I bought (1 buff, 1 golden) could be used for breeding. He said if I used the buff male to breed to my two golden females, that they would still produce true to their line (either buff, or golden, but not a mix). Is this true? Or should I keep my golden male with my golden females, and buff male with buff females? I hope that question makes sense lol... (the reason I ask is because of the sociality of my six birds... my golden male seems very protective of the two buff females.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by