Sebright bantam losing balance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jen Saayman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Jen Saayman

Jen Saayman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2015
    My boy is just over a year old, very feisty, full of nonsense and a real terror to the dog. In the past few days he's been falling off his perch and battling to fly up to the counter where his food is. He's an indoor bird, a pet, and sleeps on my husbands computer screen. This morning he fell into the bath and got rather wet. He also keeps on pulling at his wings, like he's trying to seperate the feathers. Every now and then he will walk sideways or even turn in circles. He's eating and drinking well. Chases the dog to eat his pellets. He gets into many scuffles with the dog and as a result has lost a few of his long wing feathers, so not sure if this is part of his balance issue.

2. Is your Sebright limping at all?

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Any sign of mites or lice.Check under the wings and vent.

What do you feed him?

Walking in circles and unbalanced could be a vitamin deficiency.

4. Jen Saayman

Dec 3, 2015
    No not limping

5. Jen Saayman

Dec 3, 2015
    What do you feed him?

Walking in circles and unbalanced could be a vitamin deficiency.
    [/quote]

He eats chicken mix,veggies, loves scrambled egg (yes that sounds creepy) and loves cheese.
    He recently started eating the dog pellets. He will attack the dog to get to them. It's a new brand I bought the dog. He was never interested in the pellets before. He's still feisty.

6. Jen Saayman

Dec 3, 2015
    Doesn't look as if he has mites

7. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I would feed him Chicken food as a main course and treats once or twice a day..No dog food..Cut down on the cheese too.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  8. Jen Saayman

Dec 3, 2015
    Will stop the dog food though that will be difficult as he attacks the dog for it. Cheese he only gets as a treat once or twice a week.
    Thanks for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by