1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sebright Bantam noises...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by comptonsgonecountry, Jun 7, 2011.

1. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I have a 7 week old Sebright Bantam that makes a low whistling sound. It's almost like a purr. Has anyone ever heard such a thing out of a chick before?

2. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    our older chicks(from 3 weeks or so until they start making adult noises) have all ways trilled(our name for the sound)... our brahma Rocky does it constantly, much more than any chick I have ever had, but they all have done it...

3. LupinLaneChickens

LupinLaneChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Lynnwood, WA
    I have a Serama chick about the same age as yours that made the whistling sound. It ended up being because she had an upper respiratory infection! You may want to check out your Sebright and make sure it isnt whistling because it's having trouble breathing. The Serama recovered and stopped making the noise once we put her on antibiotics.

4. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I have a Serama chick about the same age as yours that made the whistling sound. It ended up being because she had an upper respiratory infection! You may want to check out your Sebright and make sure it isnt whistling because it's having trouble breathing. The Serama recovered and stopped making the noise once we put her on antibiotics.

She/He has been doing this for a couple weeks now and is acting normal. She makes the noise when they all are roosting. It almost sounds like a lullaby she is singing to the flock.

I'll keep my eye on her just to make sure it's not an infection. Tha​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by