Sebright chicken questions :)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by peepinator, Sep 13, 2010.

1. peepinator

peepinator Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2010
    God's Country Idaho
    Hello, I got a Sebright mixed chicken and I wondered what kind of egg laying I can expect from her. She's so tiny even though she's mixed. She looks like she's mixed with a Polish Crest or silky. Even though she's tiny...she is very tough and the other chickens are afraid of her...she's still a baby making peeping noises but she has all her feathers. Thanks...

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Where did you get her and are you sure she is mixed?

3. peepinator

May 30, 2010
    God's Country Idaho
    I got her from a random gal who has a backyard farm. She said she was a Sebright and the description I saw of a Sebright tells me she must be a mix. All the other chickens I got from this gal are polish crest and silkie mixes so I'm guessing this little one is a mix too. I could be wrong though...here are a couple pics. The gal said she was a female (hope she is!) Tell me if you think she is mixed or not. I don't know anything about this breed of chicken. This is a tiny little bird. Thank you for any input [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    my seabrights were excellent layers, but had rotten attitudes so i sold them.

ETA: i would say silky cross due to feathered legs

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  5. ericsplls

ericsplls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Cute yes. Sebright no. She may be a mix Sebright seem to lay well through the summer but are pretty much closed for business in the winter.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Sounds right. I can see the Silkie more than the Sebright. Neither breed is noted for their egg laying so I wouldn't expect much from a cross.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    She ??? is really cute whatever she is

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I need to wear garden gloves (the thick ones) to handle a roo. I have two pairs and that is enough for me! They don't get along with anyone including people. I hatched them all. For beautiful birds, they should be friendlier [​IMG]

9. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Quote:I agree, they should be friendlier! i "replaced" them with silver laced wyandottes (bantam and standard size) so i still have something black/white laced, IMO they are just as beautiful [​IMG] and much better attitudes.

10. peepinator

May 30, 2010
    God's Country Idaho
    Thanks everyone [​IMG] Does the bird look like a "she" ? What do the Roos look like in this breed? I was told she was a she! Yes, I think she's got a lot of silkie in her. She is jet black and really a pretty little thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by