Sebright cross & Blue Rosecombs

Black Feather

Songster
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Does anyone have a pic of a F1 sebright cross with another bantam breed? Any idea how they turn out on a first outcross?

I know this is just a make work project for myself, but blue rosecombs are supposed to have a lace around each feather. Unfortunately I've found this very difficult to achieve. I was wondering if it would be possible to outcross with a sebright to try and gain the lacing and then breed back to the rosecomb type on a blue bird.

Which base color sebright would be best to work with...silver or gold?

Understanding the genetic basis for lacing is one of the areas I don't have a great understanding on yet, especially in regard to the base color as well.

Any thoughts?

Urban Coyote

Last edited:
I'd rethink that if I were you. The hen feathering from the Sebright would take years to breed out & I doubt the lacing from the Sebright would translate to better lacing in the Rosecomb. The only Sebright cross I've seen was with a Black OEGB-the result was a hen feathered, rose combed, predominatly black cockerel with some gold in his hackle.
I've not bred Blue Rosecombs but I did breed some pretty good Blue andalusians for several years. I found that some of my best laced birds came from Black/splash matings.

It would be an interesting cross for the following reason:

Sebright do have Db which is a columbian-like restrictor.
But Db, when 2 copies Db/Db, might be powerfull enough to suppress extended black which you need for an all blue bird.
This effect of Db on extended black E is hardly documented.

Your rosecombs could also be based NOT on extended black E/E but on a so called recessive black (e^b base plus melanizers).
In that case you will have a hard time getting rid of Db and Co from the sebright.

I have heard that the best laced birds come from breeding blue x black. I would try that rather than bringing in all those Sebright traits and having to worry about re-achieving the Rosecomb type.

If black rosecombs were suitable to deliver better lacing it should already be on the blues, because the blacks were the rosecomb base animals and the blue was crossed in.
But maybe your blue rosecombs are a little low on melanizers.
By all means breed black to blue for this, but use blacks from a black line not from your own blue line.

Thanks guys. It would be a very difficult project and may not be worth the effort.

From my observation the lacing you find on a blue chicken is not the same as on birds like Sebrights and laced Wyandottes etc. It's not an easy thing to get good lacing from the blue genes.

I do have a few hens that show the typical but not particularly defined lacing around their blue feathers. I've had these two hens for a few years so I know that the lacing they have will stand the test of time and not disappear with a molt. I have a few other hens that do not show this lacing as well. The problem is, the lacing is not consistent through generations, mind you I crossed all the blues with blacks and with blues whether they showed lacing or not. This year I'm going to try to breed only laced blues to other laced blues to see if it carries through to future generations. If it is inconsistent with this cross then I may have to look at the other options to get lacing into the blues.

UC

Blue tends to form lacing by itself. This is due to melanizers which you could get from black lines.
Of course selecting best blue laceds could work.
But don't expect too much.

If you want andalusian blue kind of lacing you should get hold of the Pattern gene Pg also. Sebright have that but it is linked to the Db factor I mentioned.

Java_1-5_gezoomd_blauw.jpg

Back
Top Bottom