Sebright hen doing the "rooster dance"

Jenjens

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
IL
Hello,

If you have a rooster you know what the rooster dance is. I am outside and just now, I saw my one year old sebright hen do the rooster dance to my barred rock hen. This is as far as I know the first time she has done this and it looks like she is trying to do it like the rooster and looks very awkward so I am pretty sure I just caught her trying it out for the first time. She did it a few times and then jumped up and pecked the barred rock on top of the head. What the heck is this about?

It just looked so strange and awkward and for some odd reason I was feeling bad for her.

She is starting to do it again now. At first I thought she was stretching out her wings to go lay in the sun, but did the dance instead.

What the heckers is this?

Hello,

If you have a rooster you know what the rooster dance is. I am outside and just now, I saw my one year old sebright hen do the rooster dance to my barred rock hen. This is as far as I know the first time she has done this and it looks like she is trying to do it like the rooster and looks very awkward so I am pretty sure I just caught her trying it out for the first time. She did it a few times and then jumped up and pecked the barred rock on top of the head. What the heck is this about?

It just looked so strange and awkward and for some odd reason I was feeling bad for her.

She is starting to do it again now. At first I thought she was stretching out her wings to go lay in the sun, but did the dance instead.

Can you post pictures of her?

Of course I am one of those rare people in my 30s who don't always think about taking a picture or video when something is happening, so I don't have it documented, but this is her. I'll try to take a pic of video next time I catch it. Sorry she is fast and it was hard to even get that picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20200622_155731.jpg
    IMG_20200622_155731.jpg
    844.5 KB · Views: 22
Of course I am one of those rare people in my 30s who don't always think about taking a picture or video when something is happening, so I don't have it documented, but this is her. I'll try to take a pic of video next time I catch it. Sorry she is fast and it was hard to even get that picture.
It’s okay! Do you have a rooster??

Hello,

She was just threatening the barred rock hen and obviously that was not enough so she attacked her.

Nothing unusual about this behaviour.

Hello,

Sorry I can't help you but could you explain the rooster dance? We are inexperienced.

Back
Top Bottom