Sebright is trying to roost while her chick is on the floor

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kickinchicken, Mar 12, 2011.

1. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    My Sebright is a momma to a singleton. Things were going great but tonight she wants to roost with the girls and her poor chick is on the floor screaming bloody murder. So, I picked up the chick and put her in the brooder with some cochin chicks I hatched out. Poor thing is so confused. But the other chicks are great and accepting! I feel so bad this chick has such a flake for a mom!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My mama hen did that a couple weeks ago, when her chicks were about 4 weeks old. She was trying to teach them to roost. When they didn't follow her up to the roost, after about 10-15 minutes, she jumped down and took them to the nest. She tried it again and again, every few nights until they got the hang of roosting.

3. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    Mine did that too so I took a box and turned it sideways on the floor, put some hay and shavings in it. I picked her up and put her in the box and she stayed with her baby. The next night she went right to the box.

4. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I tried to get her to stay in the floor level nest box that she was using, but she kept flying up to the roost and settling down on the poop board. I was afraid that the chick would freeze to death as she is the only chick right now...so, no one else to snuggle with for body heat.
    When I brought her in, she peeped for like an hour. The other chicks kept looking up at her like "What's your issue?" So far this morning, things are good and momma could care less. She is such a flake! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by