Sebright Lover needs advised

Lov'emSouthernEggs

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
East Carolina
I have 2 Golden Sebright hens and one Rooster. After having them for 2 1/2 weeks one hen has started laying daily. I want to see if she will sit and brood so I have left the eggs in the nest. We have five so far.

Questions.

Will Sebrights brood? I have heard that they won't but I know a guy that has one and she is...15 eggs.

Will the Sebright eggs hatch and survive? I have heard that they are difficult to raise. The rooster is "doing his job" and I have every reason to believe they are fertilized.

They are healthy hens and rooster. One hen is about a year old and the rooster/hen are about two.

Pretty sure it is only one hen laying...but not 100% sure. All the eggs are in one nest though.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
frow.gif

Oh my goodness, yes, they definitely will. I've got 5 hens with 1 roo, and there always seems to be a broody. I don't let the hens hatch them, I incubate them myself. And I've usually got babies coming out of my ears. They are awesome layers, and the babies hatch very easily. I've also heard that they're hard to raise, but this is not true with mine. They are some of my easiest. For that, I love this breed!
smile.png

Good luck!

Paula

Heck yes they will! I just had my first one go broody the other day, but I am trying to break her as I already have two silkies raising a broody together. Mine was apparently easy to break. She doesn't act like a broody anymore. I don't think they are that difficult either. Just let mama do the work. She'll know what she's doing.

No cross with buff that I know of. They are Goldens. I hope that she will brood. I would like her to raise her own. I would like to get some Silvers and heard that they sexlink.

Do I have to move her from the coop. She is in with 2 Brahms, 3 RIR, they get along great and don't seem to bother each other. I have one Brahm that likes to lay her egg with the Sebright eggs. She doesn't seem to be protective of them yet or anything.

I'm on number 6 now!

Oh, I'm trying to hatch a mix that is due tomorrow and I have 41 White Leghorn, RIR, and Brahm mix batch waiting to incubate. Can't really hatch the Sebright eggs.

I also heard that they shouldn't hatch too late in the year...the chicks won't survive. Is it getting too late?

Ok. Should go to bed. Lots of chicken stuff tomorrow.

Thanks to all!
th.gif

Ive been trying to find some silver sebrights myself. I want an adult pair or a started pair atlease. My hubby is acctually the one that wants them. We had 4 chicks that we hatched out a few years back but they didnt make it. They lived to about 2 weeks and then got trampled. I learned fast that you cant keep them with other chickens that are larger then them as chicks. We had them with some large game fowl chicks that hatched at the same time. So try to seperate momma and chicks from the rest of the flock when they hatch. And watch out with stressing her she may trample them to death.

I really love these birds. I find Silver ones from time to time but they are snatched up so fast. I don't really want to raise chickes either. That's why I hope she will do it herself. My hen is in with a small flock. There is only eight including her and they are very quiet birds. One of them I think is part dog. Walks right up to your feet and waits for you to pick her up. My 2 1/2 year old loves her! Still waiting to see if she'll even sit.

Best wishes.

P.S. Don't know how to get pictures on here yet. I'll try to put some on my page. Busy today but maybe tonight.

frow.gif

Would anybody have some golden sebright eggs? Or know who I need to talk to
smile.png
Thanks. We currently have 1 roo to 3 girls (silvers) and now we have 1 golden roo who is SOOOO lonely and I can't seem to find anybody with chicks or even stater chicks around me that want to sell right now so I figured I would get some eggs.... Looks like that is even a harder job.....

Back
Top Bottom