Sebright pullet is confused, crowing like a rooster, *video*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FarmerJ0hn, Sep 19, 2011.

1. FarmerJ0hn

FarmerJ0hn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    So she's a couple months old and definitely a hen, but she is confused, and thinks she's a rooster and keeps trying to crow, and rather successfully, finally caught one on camera.

Ordinances say no roosters "or hens that crow" apparently... So she better quit.

It's @ 4:33 ish if the link doesn't put you to the right point.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    The link took me to a bunch of racing stuff [​IMG] . Very slow internt on this end so I gave up searching. Do you have a picture you could post of her here? Sebright roosters are 'hen' feathered with no sickle feathers.

3. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I heard it at the very end--could we get some pictures? Sebrights are hen-feathered, as said, so you really have to look for comb and things like that more.

4. FarmerJ0hn

FarmerJ0hn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    Quote:We are 90% sure she's a hen, We got her at around 2 months just so we knew we would get a hen. But here's a pic. Either way she's going though unfortunately. Can have anything crowing.

[​IMG]

5. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    It does look like a hen, sorry you can't keep her. My little sebright crosses make the most interesting sounds. Like a rusty hinge crossed with a noisey fanbelt. They don't sound like chickens.

6. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    my Salmon Faverolle Hen crows....wish i had it on video

7. farmeramy66

farmeramy66 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2013
    I purchased a straight run of five Salmon Faverolles. Two are obviously male and pluming out beautifully. Unfortunately one of my hens, the biggest of the three, has taken to crowing. She is fluffly, mostly white, bearded, feathery-footed, and crowing. At first I thought the crow came from the Rhode Island Red rooster she was standing next to, but he wandered off as the second crow erupted and she was definitely the source. Is this normal? I thought for sure I had two roosters and three hens, now I'm not so sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by