Sebright question...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SunAngel, Feb 25, 2009.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    What color chicks would you get if you bred a Silver Sebright hen to a Gold Sebright roo. Would some chicks be silver and some gold, or would the colors merge?

Thanks in advance for any help [​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Ooooh, good question! I don't know, but I want to.

3. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I have a little Silver Sebright Pullet and just got a young Gold Sebright roo tonight. I was trying to decide if I should pair them up or get them their own same color mates.

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Wouldn't hurt to try and find out what you get.

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    sexlinked babies!!! Gold female chicks and silver male chicks. The males will mature with a yellow tint.

6. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Really!? That would be quite cool! Thanks!

I think I might just stick with this one little roo and see what I get. I can always split them later on down the road after they hatch some chicks.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  7. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    they have the same type, they're the same breed. DO IT. [​IMG] If you plan on showing them though, your males will never show well because of the yellow tint.

8. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Naw I won't ever be showing them. I just had the little lone female and felt like she needed a guy in her life. Missed bidding on two Silver roos at the last sale and this little guy was all alone in the box tonight (totally worth the $3 I paid for him). He's maybe 4 weeks old, so I have a bit of a wait for babies. My Pullet is 5 months old. He has some catching up to do, hope she likes younger men lol.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  9. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    At 4 weeks old I wouldn't expect him to be fertile. He may mate, but I'd be surprised if he had viable sperm. Let me know what happens though... I'm curious.

10. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I tried to put him in the brooder with my 4 week old Silkie chicks and my 6 week old pair of OEGBs, but the little roos didn't want to get along. So the little guy joined the female Sebright and 3 other younger OEGBs in the juvie pen. They were all roosting so he had run of the floor. But he managed to fly up on the roost where they were. Bantams seem capable of so much more at a younger age. I wouldn't really expect eggs or chicks from them til this summer, but you never know [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by