Sebright QUESTION

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by <3ChickenForever, May 11, 2011.

1. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    I know Sebrights aren't cold hardy, but what I was wondering is if you just put a heat lamp in the hen house during the winter... would they be warm enough? Would they ever go outside in the cold for food? Can they handle a little snow??

Thanks!

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Anyone??

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I'm in upstate NY where winter temps of 20 below & colder aren't uncommon. I raised Sebrights for several years with no losses related to cold weather. I know several other people in this region who have Sebrights & don't heat their coops. I'm not seur where you got the idea that Sebrights aren't "cold Hardy" but IMO it's not an issue.

4. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Oh well it said on a bunch of sites. But I guess I'm gonna start looking forward to getting Sebrights! Thanks!!

5. Cjarvis

Cjarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    <3ChickenForever :

I know Sebrights aren't cold hardy, but what I was wondering is if you just put a heat lamp in the hen house during the winter... would they be warm enough? Would they ever go outside in the cold for food? Can they handle a little snow??

Thanks!

We have both golden and silver hav efound them to not be the hardiest bird but we do not heat the space they are in, with that being said we also breed and keep them inside just an un-heated space the combination of cool and damp they do not do well with which is why we no longer let them outside.​

6. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Quote:We have both golden and silver hav efound them to not be the hardiest bird but we do not heat the space they are in, with that being said we also breed and keep them inside just an un-heated space the combination of cool and damp they do not do well with which is why we no longer let them outside.

Have you had any died from the cold??

7. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    We want to get a silver sebright and it's about 8 weeks and we want it to be a hen but we weren't for sure yet. Does anyone have any pics of 6-9 week old rooster or/and hen???? Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by