Sebright Roo's Are they "friendly" in general?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rhett&SarahsMom, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    and do they have a loud crow?

Can you tell I REALLY REALLY want one? LOL

I just dont want to tick off my husband, or the neighbors. And would love a friendly roo

2. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Mine doesn't crow a lot, but when he does it is a loud shreiky one. They are very flighty and even if you hold their legs, body, and wings, they squirm and squirm. Drop dead gorgeous though!!

3. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    friendly??? HA! NO! none of mine are, in fact they are the worst I have come across yet, as far as attitude. In fact, the hens seem to be jerky too.......very aggressive, and always raising thier hackles at me. [​IMG]

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Rhett&SarahsMom :

and do they have a loud crow?

Can you tell I REALLY REALLY want one? LOL

I just dont want to tick off my husband, or the neighbors. And would love a friendly roo

mine dont crow alot. 1 of my roosters is mean. if you get in his way he will try to spur you, but he has tiny spurs, he is the dominant roo. My other rooster is gentle.​

5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    We had one named Ike that spurred and bit my husband every chance he got. Needless to say, Ike became soup.

I wouldn't recommend them as a breed, in general. They are very flighty. But if you like them, go for it. They, like all roosters, crow and annoy. [​IMG]

6. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    I have 2 Sebright roos and one is the most agressive roo in my bantam coop. He is fine with the other chickens in his coop, but never hesitates to take on any human in his sights. Because he's so tiny, most everybody just laughs. I know, I know this bad behavior shouldn't be encouraged. The other roo is quite unassuming and doesn't bother anyone. They are both pretty noisy though and I don't think either could be called friendly. Still, they and their hens are beautiful birds and we enjoy them. If you want to try them, go ahead. I think that is how many people stumble upon their favorite breed--trial and (once in a while) error.

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    My sebright roo is very sweet [​IMG]

8. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

My friend had a gorgeous silver sebright roo that was the nastiest thing ever! As soon as he saw a human he'd charge them and begin a huge fight, not giving up until you either kicked him clear across the yard or until you retreated, bloodied up from his little lethal spurs! And he crowed to high heaven, I've never heard a rooster crow so much! And it was way louder than I would have expected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by