Sebright sexing

Blueroanpainted

Songster
Dec 2, 2019
Warrensburg, mo
Ok I picked up 10 silver sebright a few weeks ago, they have got to be more than a month old now, how can I tell the roos from the hens? I know the comb is a big tell but none of them seem to be coming up with much of a comb at all. Some are completely flat, and some are slightly raised but don't really look like combs.

The comb and wattles really are the thing with Sebrights, because the males are hen feathered, and therefore males and females look very much alike. Four weeks is a bit young for sexing most breeds, so differences may not be apparent yet. But here are some things that might help. Your best bet is to judge by comparison.

Comb/wattle/face color. Female Sebrights should have purplish skin in these areas and the males are more red in these areas.

Males will be a bit larger than females.

Wider combs can indicate males in early days.

The comb and wattles really are the thing with Sebrights, because the males are hen feathered, and therefore males and females look very much alike. Four weeks is a bit young for sexing most breeds, so differences may not be apparent yet. But here are some things that might help. Your best bet is to judge by comparison.

Comb/wattle/face color. Female Sebrights should have purplish skin in these areas and the males are more red in these areas.

Males will be a bit larger than females.

Wider combs can indicate males in early days.
I will definitely have to take another look I think there where quite a few wider combs. I don't mind keeping them longer but I'm just really curious 😂

Back
Top Bottom