1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sebright Specs & Standards

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by barkingpig, Oct 26, 2016.

1. barkingpig

barkingpig Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    Hi all,

I have what appears to be a Buff-laced Sebright. Although I'm sure she is not show quality, I would like to know more about some of the things I'm read on this forum. "incomplete lacing"...should every feather be laced? My chick is 8 weeks old and is suddenly really cranking out the laced feathers, not sure when that will cease and if I can expect even more lacing with molts. She has many feathers that are not laced at this point as well.

Folks have mentioned the length of their backs....how long is too long of a back for a hen?

Thanks....just curious and enjoying watching my chick mature. When I brought her home she had no indication of ever having any markings, just pure off white for a very long time so it's been really fun to watch her change!
    [​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    She still has juvenile plumage that may change quite a bit over the next few months. By the time she is 6 months old, you can get a better assessment of overall quality.
    If she's hatchery sourced, she likely won't be a show quality example of the breed.

3. barkingpig

barkingpig Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    do you know about the "length of back" standard? Just curious if it is so many inches from base of neck to tail...I don't think I would ever show a bird even if they were show quality, just not my thing...but I love learning about all of these breeds and following the threads.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Sebrights are not my forte. Length of back is usually considered in regards to the overall shape of a bird, not an exact measurement.

5. barkingpig

barkingpig Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    Gotcha. Thanks for the quick reply :)

6. barkingpig

barkingpig Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    My beautiful off spec buff Sebright! I'm so thrilled with her...such a quirky little girl with lavender earlobes.[​IMG]

7. peanit

peanit Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2015
    very beautiful

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by