Sebrights all 3 weeks old. pullet or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Spruceroost, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Spruceroost

Spruceroost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2017
    Hi everyone. I've read that with sebrights you can tell gender by the comb. But I have 3 doing 3 different things...

The first one is flat black on top, girl right?

The one in the 2nd picture showed this comb beginning of week 2, so I figured a boy...

Then from middle of week 2 on, the one in picture 3 started showing a different kind of forehead from the other 2, it's thicker and red and black. So now I'm lost, what do you think the 3 are? Thanks for looking![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    The second is a pullet, the third looks like a rooster, and the first is a little hard to tell.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sebright males are "henny feathered," so they don't have clues like saddle or hackle feathers. Three weeks is really too young to sex them. Please put up new photos when they are 6-8 weeks of age. Thank you.

PS very difficult to judge anything with the red lighting. They shouldn't need the lamp by 6-8 weeks of age.

4. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    X2. What you probably read is that the comb is one of the only ways to sex sebrights, besides egg laying and crowing. As Drumstick Diva said, the are hen feathered, meaning that makes and females have the same feathers. Try again when they are six to eight weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by