sebrights and standards?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Qi Chicken, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I posted today asking for pictures of roos for models for our weathervane. The response was fantastic--gorgeous roos all. But something about those little sebrights really tug at me. They are so gosh darn, well they are just perky! We are going to get chicks in the spring. I was going to order from a hatchery until I started reading about hatchery problems but if I get chicks from individual breeders for each breed they will all be slightly different ages and that sounds like a nightmare to a first time chicken farmer. I'd love to have a little sebright in with the big girls. I'd like to have several different breeds of chickens but just have one rooster to breed the breed of choice. Not to be stupid but would a sebright be able to fertilize an egg with a big girl, like a silver laced wyandotte or a buff orpington or a marans? I was thinking I could have one roo of the breed that we want to propagate and only hatch chicks from the matching hen. Does this make sense?

2. Qi Chicken

Jul 3, 2009
    Thinking about it, I suppose a sebright would want a sebright friend? Would they feel lonely without someone of their own breed? Would it have to be a roo and a hen?

3. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    A rooster or even a cockerel will try to mate with whatever female is around as long as she accepts him. My Sebright roo could be a cantacerous sort if he wanted to be. Be warned that they do have an attitude sometimes.

4. Qi Chicken

Jul 3, 2009
    Thanks for the response. I figured they would try........but would they be able to do it? Actually fertilize it? I know that Barbara stands in a hole for Leroy! And when you say they can be a little persnickity? Moreso than other roos? Have 2 little kids (3 and 5) and don't want them to be terrorized by mini roosters!

5. Qi Chicken

Jul 3, 2009
    Hey I'm in Iowa too! Midway between Des Moines and Iowa City. Where are you?

6. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    amarie...
    Glad to see another ioweejan on here.

Did you know ther was a big poultry show in IA City this weekend? Saturday and Sun.
    I'll Pm you.

Eric

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by