Sebrights crowing at 6 weeks!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by hawcer, Sep 12, 2011.

1. hawcer

hawcer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    My two Sebright males found their crow this past weekend. At first I though it was another chick in the pen getting picked on and making the noise. As I went to put them to bed last night One of the little Sebright roo's cocked his head and put out a little screechy fanbelt noise....I about fell to the floor laughing at him. And then from the other side of the coop came the same noise....yep, the other Sebright roo was also trying to crow. it sounded like they were mimicking each other as both sounded exactly the same. I tried to catch it on video....but I think the camera made them shy away and go to defense mode.

I'll catch the big shots on vid sooner or later...

2. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

They are so cute when they start to crow. Our WFBS started crowing at 8-1/2 weeks & they still sound like a screechy fan belt (that's a great description--I'm gonna borrow it, thanks!). They're 12 weeks now.

3. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

My silver Sebright roo also crowed early, around 8-9 weeks. Took more than twice as long for the silver pullet to start laying eggs. Might be a bantam thing, too... the Black Rosecomb roos are all crowing, have been for a long time, and I couldn't have hatched any of those before June.

4. hawcer

Aug 24, 2011
    I am wondering how long it will be for the d'Uccles and Sultan bantams to find their crow.....The Sultans don't ever seem to be in a hurry to do anything,lol

5. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:I had d'uccle cockerals crowing at 4-5 weeks.. scared the ____ out of me when I first heard it .. thought they were dying.. [​IMG]

6. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Thats when mine where crowing too. They sound funny at first!

8. hawcer

Aug 24, 2011
    I finally captured one crowing on vid.... I give him an A for effort!

View it here:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  9. hawcer

Aug 24, 2011
    My Sebright roo's finally have a normal sounding crow...no more squeaky voices,lol.

One of my Sultan bantams crowed for the first time yesterday....it wasn't the normal "cock-a-doodle-do"....it was more like "doodle-do". He skipped right over the squeaky stage [​IMG]

10. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    you should really grease up that squeaky gate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by