Sebrights with a standard sized flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by aubreynoramarie, Jun 17, 2011.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    i have 7 LF girls who co-exsist wonderfully with my four little showgirls, would it be sfe to assume that they would accept a sebright and polish into the flock? i usually separate the run so they can see eachother for a month and have not had problems integrating before. The big girls get along wonderfully with my showgirls, but sebrights are just sooo tiny! what has been your experience keeping in mind that my girls are pretty peaceful and ive never had issues with feather pulling or pecking.

2. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    My Sebrights are in with the big girls. I gave them a couple of hidey-holes for cover. I took the tops of plastic dog carriers and placed them in two corners of my coop. The little ones can go in there if needed. Also, the concrete blocks with two holes-Sebrights can fit in those. I have a couple in my run so they can get away from the big girls if being bothered.

My little ones-and you can see a Barred Rock sitting on top. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  3. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    cool thank you! will make sure to make hidey-holes [​IMG]

4. jenjp1975

jenjp1975 New Egg

Jun 20, 2012
    I have 2 Sebrights...a hen & a roo. They are almost 3 months old. I have had them in the run with my standards for over a month in a separate cage. Yesterday I put them out with the girls and had no problems as far as all the hens go (there is also a cochin that has lived with the sebrights since a chick) but the roo....wow...He was jumping on every standard girl I had and they were not having any of it. Two of them actually had a hold of him and he got pecked in the head a few times drawing blood. I separated them again...Will I ever be able to mix them? I am VERY concerned about size. I have 4 RIRs that are big, 3 Jersey Giants that are huge and an aracauna who is small in comparison to them. But I know the sebrights are at best 1.5 lbs or so...I'm thinking about just keeping the 2 of them separate as I am afraid the Roo's tenacity will be his demise! Any ideas?

5. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    In my case, attitude, not just size, matters. I have two tiny "who knows what" hens who forage all day with a red star, black stars, RIR, and barred rock. Nobody cares about who's who. But my silkie, who is bigger than the two little ones has been harassed since day one. The standards pick on her fear. It's sad. The little hens stick up for themselves, take food away, etc. and in some weird way the standards respect them. I like the idea of hiding places. My hens have a duplex so I don't always have to worry about her...but when they free range I have to check on her throughout the day to make sure she isn't pecked bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by