Sebrights?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amarook, Aug 7, 2009.

1. amarook

amarook Songster

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    I have 2 sebrights, a silver and a gold.
    They are 14 weeks old. Up until 3 days ago I thought they were both girls. The gold one tends to be more shy, while the silver one is very bold.
    Usually when I go out to check for eggs, the silver will try to walk right out the door. That bird is also extremely talkative. When I hand out treats the silver will jump on to the arm of the chair I'm sitting in and just talk talk talk.

The other day silver got out of the coop on me. I decided fine, you wanted out, you can stay out alone!

I left it for a little then went back out to try and catch it to put it back with the rest of the crew.

That bird jumped into some branches and crowed! Well, it was sort of a crow. It was weird.

So, I am assuming that my silver is a roo. The thing is, their combs look exactly the same! Well, the sliver's may stand a smidge taller than the gold's, but it's barely noticeable.

What do you think, is it definitely a boy just cause of the crow?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a link to me giving out bread... I was calling the silver Luna.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/amarook/3783095532/in/set-72157617429400377/

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY INFO!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The combs are similar, aren't they? Is the second pic a current one, cause in the first pic the silver's comb does look bigger. The bad thing about sebrights is that they are 'hen feathered', so you can't even tell by that. Though it does look as if your silver is getting some saddle feathers.

3. Linkoso

Linkoso Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Swe.
    Both are girls.

Here is a pic of my 13-14 weeks old gold roo (on the left and 2 chamois pullets on the right + my boyfriend).

[​IMG]

Another pic of my roo, about 12 weeks old.

[​IMG]

And pullet.

[​IMG]

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Its hard to tell with the pictures but it looks like they have a single comb and not a rose come
    ( they should have a rose comb ) but I would say it could be a rooster..

Chris

5. amarook

amarook Songster

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    Quote:Actually the video is most current, then the top photo.

6. amarook

amarook Songster

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    Quote:mmm I know what Luna *looks like. I would swear up and down girl, but the way she crowed, unless she was mimicking my rooster...?? lol

7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:I noticed the combs too, Chris. They look more like single combs and look more like pullets.

Just some info from my Sebrights. One day I decided to take a rooster and hen apart from the flock to have some 1 on 1 time with them. The hen was getting anxious and she did in fact, crow! At the time I knew she was definitely a pullet. She may have been upset over the fact that she was separated. I wouldn't bet on rooster just yet.

8. Linkoso

Linkoso Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Swe.
    Oh, was it a video to? [​IMG]

Now when i have looked at it i can agree about the combs. Looks like they got single combs = sebrights should not have single combs.

But i still think both are pullets.

9. amarook

amarook Songster

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    Quote:What does it mean if they have single combs?
    I got them at Tractor supply btw.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    That just means they are pet quality, they still look like sebrights. I believe that rose combs are recessive to straight combs, so somewhere along the lines they've gotten a straight combed bird mixed in. Being from TSC, they are most likely from a hatchery. Hatcheries are not well-known for sticking to breed standards.

ETA: I still think the silver is a roo. In the first pic you can see what looks like saddle feathers. Sebrights shouldn't have saddle feathers (being a 'hen-feathered' breed), but since they are straight-combed, anything's possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: