1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sebrights?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by watchdogps, Jun 11, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I am brand new to chickens, and I will probably start with a hand-me-down flock (I've seen quite a few freebie birds and even groups of six or so that people just need to get rid of), but when I get more comfortable and versed in chicken keeping, I might try some particualr breeds. I really love the looks of the sebrights. Can anyone tell me more about them?

2. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    I had sebrights for a few years, they were nice. They average out at around 22-26 ounces (so there a bantam), the roosters are hen feathered, which means they wont have the long neck and tail feathers, rather the same as the hens. They are rose combed, and they have blue/slat legs. They are a well muscled breed. come in three colors-silver laced and golden laced are the two most common but there are buff laced as well. I found them to be a friendly breed, full of energy and spunk. heres a link to see some pics and get more info on the breed http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sebr/BRKSebrights.html
    Hope
    that helps!

3. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Glad to hear "friendly". I want easy to handle and preferably interactive.

4. SlowMoneyFarm

SlowMoneyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Nauvoo
    They're alert and active - not "practical" (i.e. regular layers or meat) and are non setters...but nice birds. Unfortunately 3 of my hens got killed yesterday so have a pair of goldens, a silver roo and hopefully some hatching. The one silver laid the day before she was killed so am hoping it was fertile.

5. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    so if I wanted to hatch some out, it would be best to have a surrogate mom, like a silky?

6. FleurSlkie

FleurSlkie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    East Coast
    Quote:Silkies are well known as going broody, but you could also use an incubator. They can be found at your local tractor supply stores generally and are quite easy to set up and use.[​IMG]

7. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I'm not real keen on DIY hatching yet. Besides, it'd give me an excuse to have some silly looking chickens.

1 person likes this.
  8. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    If you like sweet chickens that look full of themselves, you will love sebrights! Check out my BYC page for pictures of my roos. They are just too sweet and friendly. I love their tight, glossy feathering and well muscled bodies. Mine are much more vibrant in real life. My photos washed them out a bit. I'm looking for hens to go with my boys, lol. Their blue legs look so regal too. Its such a lovely color on an already stunning bird.

9. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    we just got a silver sebright chick a couple weeks ago... little bugger is full of energy, inquisitive, and so far, smart enough to get in to trouble... even though I don't much care for having an impractical breed, I think this little meeper will be fun to have around...

10. Remo

Remo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Oneida, TN
    Just wondering what color do you get if you cross a Golden with a Silver Sebright? Will one color be dominate or will it be a mix of both colors?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by