Sebrights?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MidnightRooster, Oct 15, 2013.

1. MidnightRooster

MidnightRooster Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    USA
    Hello!
    I have a question about silver/golden Sebrights. Are they the same breed? For example, if I bred two Sebrights, would the chicks be both golden and silver or are the Golden Sebrights and Silver Sebrights different species?
    Thanks,
    MidnightRooster

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Same breed, different variety (IE color) you breed silver to silver and get silver gold to gold and you get gold

3. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    They are the same breed, just different colors. They come most commonly in gold or silver laced but buff is also a color pattern.
    [​IMG]
    Elvis, my silver laced Sebright cockerel.
    [​IMG]
    Pancake, my golden laced Sebright pullet. They are the same breed, but as you can see their color is different. Both have black lacing but one is "silver" the other is "gold". If you breed a silver and gold together, you can get buff sebrights. I don't have any buff sebrights but they are a very light gold color, with white lacing. I am not sure how many generations it takes to get the buff color though. Does that help clear things up a bit? :)

1 person likes this.
  4. MidnightRooster

MidnightRooster Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    USA
    Okay, thanks. I have a Silver Sebright rooster and I've always been wondering whether his brother was gold, because his parents are mixed, one gold, and one silver.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by