1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Second attemp is in lockdown!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BrownEggFan, Jul 30, 2010.

1. BrownEggFan

BrownEggFan Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Central PA
    My first hatch didn't go very well at all. I had 4 eggs that quit around day #8 and 4 eggs that completely developed, but never hatched. I posted another thread regarding the eggtopsies. ANYWAY, I wasn't going to try hatching any more, but all of you enablers here at BYC convinced me to try it again. I think I may have had a few issues with my homemade still air bator, so I built a larger forced air unit before trying this second go round. I set 6 eggs and candled on day #9. Two eggs were clear, one was questionable and three showed good development. I left them go until day 13 and candled again; two were clear and four had little chicklets!! [​IMG]
    I candled them once more before lockdown and everything seemed to be going fine. I just put them in lockdown and they are due on Monday. I REALLY hope they hatch this time as I don't want to have a dud hatch again. My temp is at 99.1 and the humidity is at 70%. Come on little chicklets!!

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    [​IMG] Everything crossed for you hopefully you will get some babies this time. Good luck [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. BrownEggFan

BrownEggFan Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Central PA
    Well, my temp has been steady at 100.4 and the humidity is 75%. Chicks are due on Monday, but is seems like they have been in lockdown for a week now!! It is so stressful not knowing what's going on inside those little eggs. I want to open the bator so bad, but have NOT done it. I got the brooder up and ready in case I have any early birds [​IMG] so now it's just a waiting game. The eggs under my broody hen are due on Tuesday, so hopefully I'll have chicklets later this week to show off.

4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Songster

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Don't open the bator!!!!!!

Sit on your hands if you have to! lol What kind of incubator do you have?

5. BrownEggFan

BrownEggFan Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Central PA
    Murano, it is a homemade bator made from an old Omaha Steaks cooler. I am using a 25 watt bulb as a heat source and have it covered with a sheet of aluminum coilstock for a heatshield. The water heater t-stat is in direct contact with the heatshield to create metal-to-metal contact for faster actuation. Here are some pictures of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I checked the eggs when I went to bed this morning (1:30am) and the temp was 100.4 with 77% humidity. When I checked them this morning at 8:00, it was 104.1. [​IMG] The humidity was at 79%, so I opened the bator, quickly misted each egg with water and got the temp back down to 100.4. The humidity reading NEVER dropped below 60%, so I'm hoping everything is OK. [​IMG] Short of another "emergency" I will not be opening the bator until chicks are dry and fluffy!

6. BrownEggFan

BrownEggFan Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Central PA
    Well, chick #1 was born at 12:04 am on August 3rd. Chick #2 has pipped and now I'm just waiting for it to hatch. Egg #3 and #4 are not showing any signs of anything happening, but there was movement when I candled them before lockdown, so I'm hoping they will pip soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by