Second Attempt at Hatching - May 1

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cluckingcanadian, Apr 17, 2009.

1. cluckingcanadian

cluckingcanadian Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    So I am on day 7 of my second attempt at hatching. Of the 11 eggs (my flock) I set all of them have bouncing babies inside. [​IMG] This is compared to 2 of 12 during my first attempt.

I have three silkie eggs that I am really pinning my hopes on.

2. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    What do you think you did differently from your first hatch?

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Incubating and hatching is a learning game, you should learn and get better and be more successful with the more attempts you try. Good luck.

AL

4. cluckingcanadian

Mar 16, 2009
    Quote:I have done many things differently:
    1) I got another thermometer which reads two degrees lower than the one used in my first hatch.

2) I have lowered my humidity by 5-10%.

3) I have my eggs in long plastic baskets (they have holes for circulation) for turning which has me in and out of the incubator a lot quicker. I do plan on taking them out of the baskets for hatching.

4) I have only candled on day 3 and 7 thus far compared to everyday (curiosity got the best of me the first time) last hatch.

Looking at my list of changes, my failed hatch feels much more successful with the knowledge I gained.

5. cluckingcanadian

Mar 16, 2009
    So today is day 18! I candled them and I still have 11 moving babies [​IMG]. I moved them from the baskets I was using (for turning) and placed them on the wire flooring. I have upped the humidity and now its time to wait.

[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by