Second Broody Hen Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by train2110, Aug 8, 2011.

1. train2110

train2110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    eastern New York
    This spring one of our bantam hens went broody and a few day later the second one went broody. They sat in the same nest together. Unfortunatly none of the eggs hatched. We where not prepared for it and both broody hens tried to nest in the same nesting box in the coop. With a lack of planning and experience on our part, the other hens keep sitting with them and layed more eggs under the broodies. Last week one of them went broody again, but we have put her in a seperate broody box with five eggs. Today, right on time apparently, the other appears to have gone broody again as well. Do we put her in the broody box with the first making a second 'nest'? Not sure if we have any other known fertile eggs? [​IMG]

WHAT DO WE DO????[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    if i were you i would not put more than one hen in there. i let my banties do that and they killed 5 chicks before i took the other 5 eggs inside to hatch myself. hope that helped [​IMG] luck!

3. train2110

Jul 6, 2010
    eastern New York
    If it makes any difference.

The 'broody box' is 3ft wide by 4ft long by 3ft high. It is more of a miny coop.

The first hen just went broody last week.

The second hen went broody today. There would only be about a five day difference in start date.

Not sure if any of those will make a difference.

Thanks for all the help!!

4. train2110

Jul 6, 2010
    eastern New York
    Not sure if it was the right call, but we put the second broody hen in with the first. We put four eggs under her even though we are not sure if they are fertile or not.

Will see what happens in 21 days or so...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by