Second chick with bumps/wart

Pollo Eric

Chirping
Jun 11, 2019
I am new here and this may be in the previous posts and I apologize if it is but I wanted to get this out ASAP. I lost one chick a few days ago that was showing same bumps/warts type Mark's, this is the second and only order chick from this hen, about 3 weeks, free range, sleeps in area with wood shavings and does not yet roost. Many chicks from other hens in identicle conditions without problems , I attached a pic, hope it helps
These are hot climate birds , Thank you in advance for your help

Attachments

• 20190611_172001.jpg
    20190611_172001.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 33
I am new here and this may be in the previous posts and I apologize if it is but I wanted to get this out ASAP. I lost one chick a few days ago that was showing same bumps/warts type Mark's, this is the second and only order chick from this hen, about 3 weeks, free range, sleeps in area with wood shavings and does not yet roost. Many chicks from other hens in identicle conditions without problems , I attached a pic, hope it helps
These are hot climate birds , Thank you in advance for your help
I'm sorry about your chick and your loss.

Do you have vet care?
If I had to take a guess, I would say it Dry Form cutaneous Fowl Pox.
I would look inside the beak to see if there are lesions/bumps or yellow clusters in there.
IF it's Fowl Pox then then the virus has to run it's course. If the chick has lesions inside the beak or throat it may have trouble eating/drinking.
For the bumps on the skin, I would try not to disturb them too much, but you might try Iodine on those to help dry them up.
Try to keep the chick hydrated and eating. Offer wet feed if you need to so it can eat a little easier.

Hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts/suggestions.

After getting over the initial horror at seeing a chick affected with such awful lesions, I kept looking at it trying to recall what it reminded me of. Then I got it - ringworm. It's known as favus, but I don't know if it produces such lesions as shown in your photo.

The treatment is any product you'd use on athlete's foot or a yeast infection, such as miconazole. This isn't to say that this is favus in your flock, but you can try the anti-yeast treatments and see if it helps. If it does, you would then have diagnosed it. Avian pox wouldn't clear up with yeast meds.

After getting over the initial horror at seeing a chick affected with such awful lesions, I kept looking at it trying to recall what it reminded me of. Then I got it - ringworm. It's known as favus, but I don't know if it produces such lesions as shown in your photo.

The treatment is any product you'd use on athlete's foot or a yeast infection, such as miconazole. This isn't to say that this is favus in your flock, but you can try the anti-yeast treatments and see if it helps. If it does, you would then have diagnosed it. Avian pox wouldn't clear up with yeast meds.
I think ringworm shows up as an ashy white comb, not raised black spotted lesions like that. Heck, anything's possible I guess...

The closest thing it looks to me like is fowl pox. Fowl pox is a virus spread by mosquitoes that causes scabs on the face, around eyes, combs, wattles and can appear on feather-less part s of the skin. Do not disturb the scabs as it can cause the virus to spread, but as @Wyorp Rock said, you can paint with iodine to help dry them up. It is not a danger to humans or other animals. Pox lasts around 3 weeks, and the chicken is usually immune to pox after that. Look inside the beak for any yellowish lesions which can cause pain with eating.
Here is a good article with pictures of pox:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Back
Top Bottom