Second chicken is dying.....Unable to diag and need your opinion

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by [email protected], Nov 12, 2011.

1. DTyndale@yahoo.com

[email protected] New Egg

Nov 8, 2011
    Yikes, my favorite bird Blackie is dying. I had an ancona die on me the same way.
    At first, they become very lethargic, dont eat, just sit there.
    I brought Blackie inside, hoping I might do something to save here but no, she is on her way out, just lays there making cooing noise.
    She will die soon I fear.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Bar Rock, 7 months old, heavy bird (has not lost any weight)

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Becomes very lethargic, just lays there, does not eat or drink

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    This 2nd bird dying has the same symptoms as my acona, cycle takes about 24 hours.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    Other birds are fine, but this is the 2nd one to happen to in last week.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    none

6)
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Had been eating but suddenly stops eating

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    I have had her in box, no poop in last 12 hours. Maybe that is significant.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Isolation, nothing else.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Cant afford a vet

11) Bird looks healthy.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    I have all my chickens in the same coop, clean. Removed her last night

Any thoughts or ideas on what I might do? I am sterilizing the coop later today.

2. DTyndale@yahoo.com

Nov 8, 2011
    something else just occured to me. The poop in the coop is very running, not bloody, but running. Some of the other chickens have running poop on their feathers, this is unusual.
    Does that imply coccidiosis?

3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There are several things that it could possibly be that'll you'll have to consider:
    Eggbound or internal layers: Have they laid eggs recently? Soaking in warm water and massaging the underside might help them to lay the stuck egg. Not much you can do for an internal layer.
    Cocci: Any blood in their poop? That would be a telltale sign for cocci. Though it's still possible for them to have cocci without blood in their poop. Fluffed up appearace is also a good sign indicating cocci. Corid (amprolium) would be your best treatment.
    Worms: If it's worms,and they are acting lethargic as you stated and dying...check their poop for worms. Surely it would be an infestation if it were worms causing death.
    Feces: Green poop could indicate possibly either bile from not eating or a bacterial infection. Green/yellow runny poop is a good indicator of a severe bacterial infection such as E Coli.
    I dont believe you are dealing with any respiratory diseases. You wouldve noticed certain symptoms leading up to the death of your bird that died.
    Edited: Ditto on the lice/mites. Visually inspect them accordingly.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  5. Snowygirl

Snowygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Mirkwood
    woah....my hens had the same thing we took one to the vet and they gave me baytril, T hank God that it worked...while you wait seperate her from the rest of her friends, it's highly contageous...good luck!!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:What was diagnosed as highly contageous by your vet?

7. EmmyGirl

EmmyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2008
    Skippack, PA
    Is she a regular layer or is she erratic? If she's erratic, my guess would be possible egg yolk peritonitis--maybe someone here can recommend which antibiotic to use if you think that could be it and rule out that she's eggbound. I'm sorry, DT. Good luck and hope she pulls through.

8. DTyndale@yahoo.com

Nov 8, 2011
    Thank you all for the excellent suggestions, must to investigate for a first year chicken man.
    Waiting for a call back from the vet. I have invested to much into my chickens to loose the flock.
    A third bird, Rhode Island Red, is exhibiting the same symptoms.

All Big R has is Duramycin, Ranch feed store only has Tetracycline. No Baytril locally.

Eggbound - not certain if that is as 3rd big now has it. All 3 have been good layers
    Cocci - might be
    Worms - do not see any poop in worms but might be. Not certain what to use to deworm
    Feces: Somewhat green, running. Might be E Coli, not certain
    Green poop could indicate possibly either bile from not eating or a bacterial infection. Green/yellow runny poop is a good indicator of a severe bacterial infection such as E Coli.
    lice/mites? Poop doesnt look like it.

Black is still alive, sitting under a bush, lethargic. I will take her and the now 3rd bird to vet.
    When or if I have good diag from the vet, I will post here.

Thank you again for all of your help.
    Dan

9. DTyndale@yahoo.com

Nov 8, 2011
    Went to the vet.

1) Not cocci - they did sample test
    2) Not an egg stuck or nothing. She showed me how to feel for that and it feels normal
    3) Since it seems to be spreading through my flock, we are guessing its something viral

Trying SMZ - 200 ml twice a day
    If that doesnt work, she said Baytril. However she said that after a bird gets Baytril, many growers are not suppose to use the eggs, ever again. Not certain if that is true.

Blackie is still alive...for now [​IMG]

10. DTyndale@yahoo.com

Nov 8, 2011
    SMZ Tmp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by