Second Clutch Of Eggs???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by melanie, Mar 10, 2013.

1. melanie

melanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Hello, I just started a post about an owl nest in our hay barn. The great horned owl did not have a suitable area to lay the eggs, so she chose the ground. Se abandon the nest yesterday. Today, I hung a laundry basket "nest" up high and secure in the barn and lined it with hay. Is it possible she'll lay another clutch since it's early in the season? Sorry to post in chicken area, but I don't know where else to past about a great horned owl. LOL

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Owls and especially Great Horned owls begin incubation as soon as the first egg is laid. This results in owlets of different ages in the nest at the same time. I do not think that owls lay a clutch of eggs like a chicken, a duck, or a humming bird would and then begin to set. I will tell you this, a family of GHO will make any troubles you may have with chicken hawks look like childs' play by comparison.

3. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    http://www.wildliferesponse.org/index.php/Birds/great-horned-owl.html

I dont think she will be back this year. Wild birds lay usually when they ahve mated and not after. Ive seen this in pet store birds as well. You might get 2 sets only if the conditions are right.

Also, if the things you set out smell remotely of human, she wont lay there. However, if you make the nest nice and secure and let it be until next year, she may choose it. By then your scent should be gone.

4. melanie

melanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    True, owls don't lay a clutch like chickens. They begin incubating right away, then lay a second or third egg a couple days later. Also, the owl/hay barn is about 2 miles from our home/horse barn. The owls have been there for years and haven't come near the chickens.

I was just wondering if an owl nest gets broken up early in the season if she'll come back and try for a second clutch. It's still early enough in their nesting season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by