Second coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wesleyhw, Sep 8, 2010.

1. wesleyhw

wesleyhw Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    Newnan Ga.
    I have a nice coop and run already. The coop is 4'X6' And the run is 6'X10" I have 8 RIR hens and a Roo and 2 White Rocks with a Roo. Thinking about making a tractor style for the whites so I can move them more freely. Can't let them free roam because I don't have that much space. Only about an acre. Not fenced either. I thought about just splitting the run and coop down the middle and make two separate pens. Has anyone ever done this? Don't want to crowd them. With a tractor style I can move them to my garden spot during the fall and winter. Just wondering what some of you would do.

2. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    It seems you have 12 birds and only 24sq. ft. in the coop and 60 sq. ft. for the run. A national average, what our city based our code on is 4sq.ft. per bird for the coop. For the pen it should be about 10 sq.ft. per bird. A tractor would be do-able for the 3, although its still tight for the 9 in an area that should have 6. Just a little food for thought. I also live on less than an acre... about a half. The chickens are going to be able to free-range while I am out with them. This may not happen everyday, although it will still be beneficial for them to roam a bit. And maybe have to rotate them, and not always have them all out at once.

3. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Why not make a bigger tractor and use it for the white rocks and roo plus a couple rir girls. Leave 7 in the coop/pen and put 5 in the tractor. Just an idea. I don't think leaving all RIR in the 6x10 coop would be a bad idea either. If they have lived together they will probably be fine.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  4. wesleyhw

wesleyhw Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    Newnan Ga.
    Not a bad idea. Wasn't really going to get that many but it just happened.

5. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    How about keep the whites in the coop you have now and build a 40 square foot coop for the 8 RIR's. Just and idea... [​IMG]

6. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    A tractor is nice as you can move it around every day. I live on an acre and we have a tractor and run for our 8 girls. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It is and 8x4 on wheels with a moveable run out of pvc pipe that is 10x8. Works great. Next year we will be building a stationary coop and run for the heritage chickens we will be getting. Hope this helps!

7. Tinkspirit70

Tinkspirit70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Central Fla
    we built two tractor coops with the coop part being 3x8 and the run part 8x10 the whole thing is one peice on wheels, we move it around easily and I have one cochin roo, three cochin girls and 5 rir's in one tractor and 1 cochin roo and 4 rir's in the other and will be adding two EE's as soon as I can find some. cost about $250.00 in materials to build and took the hubby about a day to build it, they seem to love it and it is very easy to clean ( I just move it, and about once week I pressure wash the steps and anything that didnt fall thru the wire in the coop part) I hope you find a solution, Good luck :eek:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by