Second Day-Why is she drooling?

outofthereality

Chirping
May 9, 2020
Hey y’all,
I realized yesterday my chicken was looking lethargic. I separated her from the flock, have her some electrolytes every hour or so, fed her some yolk with electrolytes but something is wrong and one of her leg seems extended.
Her head is down and curled under her. She’s drooling, it seems her breathing is weaken. She would tossed herself around. Is there anything else I can do, I’m not sure the source of her sickness.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 2
She looks very very sick.

You mentioned that you are giving electrolytes hourly... How exactly are you administering this?

Are you aware that it is extremely easy to accidentally force liquid down the wrong pipe of the bird's mouth and it will kill them?
It may be too late for this particular bird, but in the future I highly recommend not ever forcing anything into a bird's mouth.
Holding a spoon of liquid or a dish of liquid up to the beak so it can drink on its own is much safer than putting something in its mouth.

How long have you had this bird and when was the last time you brought a new to you bird home?
Do you know if you have Marek's disease in your flock??

She looks very very sick.

You mentioned that you are giving electrolytes hourly... How exactly are you administering this?

Are you aware that it is extremely easy to accidentally force liquid down the wrong pipe of the bird's mouth and it will kill them?
It may be too late for this particular bird, but in the future I highly recommend not ever forcing anything into a bird's mouth.
Holding a spoon of liquid or a dish of liquid up to the beak so it can drink on its own is much safer than putting something in its mouth.

How long have you had this bird and when was the last time you brought a new to you bird home?
Do you know if you have Marek's disease in your flock??

She was drinking water fine and I used a bottle cap only and she would drink from there but today she just looks worst. I brought her in June. The other birds have been around for 2 years now.

With 4 others but 2 were killed due to a fox entering and killing one and injuring the other which she died
The days before she was running around eating worms and dirt bathing.

Last edited:
She was drinking water fine and I used a bottle cap only and she would drink from there but today she just looks worst. I brought her in June. The other birds have been around for 2 years now.
The days before she was running around eating worms and dirt bathing.
Are you in the US?

Back
Top Bottom