second egg gitters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frostic, Jul 19, 2018.

1. frostic

frostic Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Lake elsinore California
    So 1 week ago my eldest of 18 weeks started laying eggs. and the other 2 started yesterday, i watch them when they lay their eggs. its so exciting oddly....

well today 2 of them layed their eggs within 15 mins like before, however my smallest chicken that gave me a quarter sized egg yesterday that i call blondie has been in the nest over 2 hours now trying and trying, I'm fearing that she is egg bound.
    yesterday it took no longer than 15 mins so I don't know why its taking her so long today.
    Anyone know why she is struggling on her second egg?

2. Bettyboop7499

Bettyboop7499 Songster

Mar 25, 2018
    Traverse City, MI
    Oh no...I have no idea but keep us posted!

How did you know when they were going to lay?

frostic likes this.
  3. AMERAUCANAS4REAL

AMERAUCANAS4REAL Free Ranging

Nov 8, 2017
    Upper Midwest
    My Coop
    Don't know why, but when the egg passes, check her vent for prolapse because the egg might be too large for her, and manage if before it gets too bad if she has it. If her vent is swollen give her Microcyn or other poultry approved anti inflammatory if you find in necessary. Most likely she will be fine, but if you extra worried, might as well.

PachecoPeeps and frostic like this.
  4. frostic

frostic Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Lake elsinore California
    well they get really loud and start squaking alot. thats when i go out to check them.
    and now she is out of the nest but no egg, her butt is still pulsing
    but shes not trying anymore. i feel like shes egg bound for her second egg.
    im not looking forward to it if she is. shes scaring me a bit.

does anyone know if she is just taking a break and will go back at it soon?

Bettyboop7499 likes this.
  5. frostic

frostic Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Lake elsinore California
    sorry these are my first chickens what is prolapse?

she looks fine but shes walking around outside the coop now squaking and following my other chickens but you can tell she seems in alot of pain. i dont have any Microcyn but i'll get some asap. is there any other medications i should keep close by incase other issues happen?

6. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Don't panic yet. Some chickens take longer to lay than others. I have one that goes in and out of the nest box several times a day. Some go in, pop out an egg in a few seconds then run out. Others go in and settle in for a few minutes or a few hours before they actually. I have one that goes in the coop and sings they egg song every time any of the girls lays. I have some that are quiet and some that pace and sing for awhile before laying. Hopefully she's just getting things figured out and is healthy as can be.

7. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    What makes you think she is in pain? I honestly wouldn't worry too much if it is just the noise and commotion. Laying eggs is exciting, especially for new layers. Some birds are quite vocal about it for quite a long time.

8. frostic

frostic Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Lake elsinore California
    well shes walking with her tail feathers down, waddling like a duck and looks like she can't stand up very well. when she does sit down she squaks very loud then stands right back up. to me thats what i do when im in pain lol tmi sorry

9. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    How long has she been like this?

10. frostic

frostic Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Lake elsinore California
    just today, its now been 3 hours since she started trying to lay an egg. but failed to do so now is out of the nest acting this way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: