Second Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChookHappy, Jan 5, 2010.

1. ChookHappy

ChookHappy Dances with Chickens

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    So our Buff layed her first egg yesterday around 10 am. w00t! I was thinkin to myself, 'now I can have eggs for breakfast fairly soon!' Yesterday she spent the better half of the morning in the box until she layed it. So here it is round 2 pm the next day and she has not even looked at her boxes. One of the 23 week old Ameraucanas' show more interest in it today. The egg she layed is still in there as per my mentors' reccomendation. Is it fairly common that a pullet won't lay an egg the day after the initial egg is delivered?

2. urbanolive

urbanolive Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    asheville,nc
    We got our first egg on Jan 2 ! I think it was one of our RIR's. Then no egg again until today...so we had a 3 day lapse. I too am wondering when it will become regular. My daughter found the first one and just had to eat it, so we put wooden eggs in the boxes instead.

3. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Congrats on your first eggs! That is definately egg-citing. It takes awhile for the egg-workings to become regular so be patient.

And you won't always get an egg everyday. You will find that you'll get an egg slightly later everyday, then miss a day. So don't worry.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Inconsistency with laying is normal in new layers. I would definitely remove the real egg though - if it were to get cracked, they may discover that eggs taste really good. Replace it with a few golfballs or other roundish "sorta shaped like an egg" object(s).

5. smileyfacecat

smileyfacecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Wrentham, MA
    Congrats! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

My BA Oprah laid her first egg on Saturday...and every day since we have gotten a tiny itty bitty brown egg lol So kind of her to be consistent!!

Today there were 2 little bitty brown eggs, tho the other seemed to be a lighter shade of brown. I have no idea who gave it to me tho lol Hopefully she will fess up soon [​IMG]

We have been missing 2 of the 3 golf balls I set in the nesting area...I came in this am and all 3 golf balls were back with the 2 little eggs and the 1 green lol

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:They move the dang things! Seriously! There was a thread it a year or two ago. I had missing golf balls when my girls first started laying and finally caught them in the act of moving them. It's a riot.
    One gal wrote about removing the eggs from under her broody silkie, setting the eggs down outside while she tended to something else only to find the silkie stealing her eggs back when she returned.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  8. ChookHappy

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    Thanks for all the responses! I did take the egg out and put one of the wooden ones back in it's place. It looks pretty funny next all the hen eggs. We are planning on holding onto the first few for comparison but it's not going to be easy. The rest of today passed and still no eggs but no prob. Geez, now that I heard her deliver the first one I feel like a little kid again waiting for an egg. xD

Speakin of chooks moving eggs around I was in my buddys' coop the other day as she was collecting eggs. She had put 6 or 7 eggs down into a box a for a sec to show us something and an Ameraucana hopped up onto the long row of boxes and proceded to slowly nudge the eggs underneath her. She already had like 5 under her lol. It was truly one of the cutest things I had ever seen. The little hording chicken lol. She couldn't even sit down on all of them right, just kinda halfway sitting there teetering on not even half of them. [​IMG]

9. ChookHappy

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    Our buff ended up laying her second egg today. It was a bit bigger this time hehe. DW got to hear the egg song this morning too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by