Second girl decided to lay in the bramble bushes, Nooooooo!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chanty, Jun 28, 2011.

1. chanty

chanty Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    I knew she was up to laying an egg this morning while they were all roaming around. I decided to cut down the sticker bushes this afternoon and there it was her first egg. It was like Easter, but I wish she would had gone off back to the coop like her sister does at noon every day like clock work. I am thinking of keeping them all in the run, which has access to the coop, until after her laying time in the morning. Do you think she will be encouraged to lay in a nesting box if she is in the run? I do not want her to acquire bush laying habits. That is my plan, any other ideas?

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Put some fake eggs or golf balls where you want them to lay, she may get the idea. That's what worked for me. Also, keeping them locked in for a few days so they can't range would help.

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I think leaving them in the run until she lays is a good idea, then she will likely start using the nest, especially if she sees her sister lay there- you can also try putting a golf ball in as sheaviance1 suggested, it has worked well for me [​IMG]

4. chanty

chanty Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Thanks, actually I did just what you suggested, kept her in the run longer and the next day she ran to the coop to lay in the box. They each lay one in a different box. It is so wonderful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by