Second Guessing Breeds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stefan333, Jan 18, 2013.

1. stefan333

stefan333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    KY
    I hatched these chicks from an assortment, and they are 5 weeks old. I'm pretty sure I know what they are, but I've heard of hatcheries adding chicks not on the list when they give you extras (I got two). I'm questioning these because either I don't have anything to compare it to or they just look different than the others.

Chicken #1 -Looks like a Buff Orpington, but the wings are shorter and seem to not be growing in like my other Buffs. Is this a Buff Orpington with a defect or is it another breed?
    Chicken #2 -One of my normal Buff Orpingtons
    Chicken #3 -I'm thinking EE because of greenish brown legs or Gold Laced Wyandotte(cause it was on the list). The reason I'm questioning it is because I only had 5 green eggs hatch, and I have 6 chickens that look like EEs. This one has different markings, and none of my other chicks have the split tail. I'm thinking he/she might just have been an EE who hatched out of a brown egg.
    Chicken #4 -Black Australorp? He was the last to hatch and is a lot smaller than any of the other chicks. His feathers also seem to be a bit messy. He's the only one I have like it, so I have nothing to compare him to.

Chicken #1 Chicken #2
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Chicken #3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Chicken #4
    [​IMG]

2. POULTRY 104

POULTRY 104 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicken 4-Austrolope
    Chicken 3- RIR easter egger ( easter eggers are usually mixes that lay blue eggs )
    Chicken 1 and 2- probaly buff orpington or buff chantler

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    1 and 2 are buff orps...2 appears to be a cockerel
    3 is an ee and a cockerel
    4 is an assuie

4. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    X2

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    x3

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x4

7. stefan333

stefan333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    KY
    We gave #3 (EE) to an amish family today along with our leghorn cockerel (that one was VERY easy to tell) and 3 RIR who I'm very sure were cockerels (mean as heck even at 5 weeks old). I have 3 chicks who look exactly like #2 (BO), and I'm very happy they could be cockerels because I plan on having lots of Orps. I also have a 3 month BO hen, lavenders in the incubator, and buff/blue/black/splash/white/lavender assortment hatching eggs coming at the end of the month. Thank you all very much for your input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by