Second hand Rooster -unsure of breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by coffeeshopgirl7, Oct 1, 2012.

1. coffeeshopgirl7

coffeeshopgirl7 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2012
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

I got this handsome guy from an animal shelter worker. I went in to get a dog and got to talking about chickens. I was saying that I wish I had a rooster and she told me she had three and she'd give me one. Someone in town had raised three roosters for pets, but the neighbors complained and he was forced to give them up. She had a small flock of hens and since the shelter really isn't equipped for chickens they were pawned off on her. Why can't I get any of my animals a normal way? [​IMG]

I believe he is rather young, probably from this past spring's brood. When she got him she wasn't even sure it was a roo til he crowed. Does anyone know what breed he might be? Will his plumage get more...I don't know, showy? He's pretty gentlemanly so far. He's very amorous but he hasn't beaten my ladies up too much. Some of my bigger hens put him in his place now and then. He has 26 ladies in his harem (formerly 27, RIP Helena).

2. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    part black lab, maybe some some border collie. Oh, the rooster. looks like one i had that was part black maran. definitely a mix.

3. coffeeshopgirl7

Aug 30, 2012
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

Good guess! She was actually an aussie/border collie hybrid! Her abilities as a guardian are tbd.
    As for Jacques Chanticleer, I should have known he would be. All my hens are mutts, too. That's ok! I love them anyway.

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Could be a Welsummer or Welsummer cross.

5. Chesterchook

Chesterchook Chillin' With My Peeps

i don't know[​IMG]

6. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Some sort of red or red/black mix. I think his body will get redder as he ages, and his hackle, saddle, and tail feathers will all get longer. I think his tail may remain black-green. I love red roosters the most - wish I had one! Good for you for rescuing him. He must be in heaven with 26 hens all to himself!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Barnyard mix.

He does look pretty scruffy. Do you know if the other roosters beat him up, or they were closely confined? Or have you checked him for mites, etc. He could possibly be older than you think and molting, also.

8. coffeeshopgirl7

Aug 30, 2012
    Ohio
    We examined him before we took him and quarantined him when he got here. He was free ranged where he was living and he had been raised from a chick with the other two cockerels so they lived together peaceably enough.
    We took this picture the day we released him from quarantined so he's a bit ruffled. He lost a few feathers putting up a fight to stay out of the transport cage.

9. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

He reminds me of an EE (non bearded) I gave my pastor that he named Kellog. I think he has a lot of filling out to do, the tail will definitely get bigger and fuller. That comb and waddles will probably double in size, and you're gonna have one big beautiful mixed roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by