Second hatch-- Have questions-- what is going on??????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PeppermintHen, Jun 20, 2011.

1. PeppermintHen

PeppermintHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    This would be my second try at hatching. My first attempt was successful with a R-Com incubator. Yesterday morning was lock down, got that down. 38.7c and 64 humidity. Two eggs have been ((shiverring)) , rolling, vibrating, which ever word describes it best since two days ago before lock down. Still no pipping. My first hatch did not go this way. They hatched a day after lockdown. Pipped , zipped, and fluffed out. My question is: Is it normal for the movement with no pipping to go on for so long? Two days? Really?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    I thought movement was normal o_O my button eggs have been moving for days too.. But not peeping.. Or pipping.

3. PeppermintHen

Sep 5, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Today is day 21 of my hatch. Four eggs have movement and have candled. One egg pipped like four hours ago and the membrane is not even sticking to the shell and there is a small tear in the membrane and you can see blood. The chick is moving around a lot and barely started to chirp. Don't know if this matters but the pip is on the opposite of where the air sack is, The smaller end of the egg. Is that normal? Temp: 38.5c and Humdity:70%

4. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    This is my first hatch.. But if it is the opposite end of the air sack then no it is not normal... I would watch it carefully..

5. PeppermintHen

Sep 5, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    When exactly does the yolk go in the body? I know thats very important, and to keep a membrane moistened and such. When does this membrane sever from the body so the chick can leave?

6. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    idk my eggs havent hatched yet..

7. PeppermintHen

Sep 5, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Bloody pip update: The chick died. Oddly though. The chick had turned head toward the air sack, yet air sack not broken. The pip occurred at small end of egg by the feet of the chick. When it was obvious the chick was dead I peeled everything off the little body to see what went on. While peeling I noticed even though the air sac was never broken then air sac membrane was glued to the head of the chick. So bad that while the chick was trying to move pipped by moving his little legs around breaking the shell below. All you saw was legs, blood and no head. Tragic death. Im so sad, and hoping the other three eggs will hatch out right.

8. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:I am so sorry for your loss... I hope your hatch fares better..

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Your temp is within range but on the high side. Should be 37.5c. Your humidity is good.

10. quibs

quibs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have a homemade incubator so idk how the real ones work. Are the eggs laid flat?

I've had some chicks pip downward and they always rocked back and forth much more than the chicks that pipped normally

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by