Second hatch...i think it worked!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hiltonchick, May 29, 2008.

1. Hiltonchick

Hiltonchick Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2008
    New York
    This is my second hatch, 19 out of 22 eggs are looking really good! One was clear on day 14, the other I accidently dropped and it cracked. It did have a chick though.

I'm at the end of day 19 and one is starting to pip. [​IMG]

Its so exciting..... I can barely wait. The first hatch I did I only got 2 chicks out of 10. One chick I had to help out after 38 hours - it was amazing! He unfolded right in my hand. Its been 3 weeks and they are both doing fine.

The temp is around 100 - 101 and the humidity is at 69. Should I raise the humidity? All the eggs are in egg cartons this time.

2. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I would not raise the humidity try to keep it stable right where you are at. What U need to do now is "coast along" and DO NOT OPEN THE BATOR. [​IMG] When they start the humidity will jump big time. [​IMG] Sorry for the yelling. [​IMG] Good luck!

3. Hiltonchick

May 29, 2008
    New York
    Now the humidity is at 72, temp is 100, is that still okay??

I think the first hatch, I couldn't regulate the humidity and I opened the incubator to help the one chick, so i probably messed up th first hatch...[​IMG]

I WILL NOT OPEN THE BATOR!!!!!

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Mine haven't hatched yet but, from what I've read the humidity goes up as they hatch and that is okay to 80%.

5. Eggseronious

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Yes I think U are still ok with those numbers. [​IMG] When the first pip opens up there is a big gush of moisture that will spike that humidity. Dont worry! If the window foggs up just pull one of the plugs till the fog starts to go away then put it back in.

6. Eggseronious

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Yes its gonna max out, just remove the plug if the window foggs up then put it back in as the window starts to clear up.

7. Hiltonchick

May 29, 2008
    New York
    Okay...I'm so excited!!!!!!!

Last night (beginning of day 20), the humidy went through the roof, it registered Hi, but I didn't touch it. I had 1 (out of 19) pip. I was hoping to wake up to a new baby, but nothing. the humidity did come down over night to about 85%.

I checked the eggs and had 6 more pips, no babies yet. I went to work and around noon came home for lunch........
    I had 1 baby hatched (an EE, not the first egg that pipped). I was so excited and I had 3 more pips. I reluctantly went back to work.....

My daughter called me at 3:30, another baby hatched!!!!!

When I got home from work at 5:00, 2 more had hatched (total of 4 hatched) and we had 11 pips and the very first pipped egg had hatched! Its getting a little crowded, I have the eggs in egg cartons, so the babies are climbing on them.

We had to go to a baseball game, we had the 4 hatched babies and 13 pips. When we got home at 9:00, we now have a total of 9 eggs pipped, 9 babies hatched and 1 is hatching as I type (so thats 10 babies fully hatched.)

this is so awesome, It looks like I may have 100% hatch!

8. Eggseronious

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Congrats on the hatch! [​IMG] I knew U could do it. [​IMG]

9. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Yay!!!! Congrats!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by