Second hatch taking a while...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by awmosby, Jun 24, 2019.

1. awmosby

awmosby In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2019
    As the thread title suggests, I am on my second hatch of shipped eggs, but I tried this hatch under different conditions than my first. Most eggs have not pipped, and my timer just rolled over to day 19. My first hatch was dry and at a bit high of temps, so I had 12 hatch between days 15 and 16 and no others by day 21. This hatch I have maintained at 40-50% humidity through LD, candled and tossed about 2 dozen infertile, and bumped the humidity to ~80%. So far, four hatched on day 16, and they are happily occupying the brooder, but the other 42 have not even pipped, nor am I noticing anyone rocking. There were a few that were developmentally behind at LD (they were still fairly veiny but very much alive inside,) but the majority I would have expected to hatch by now.

How long should I leave the rest in the incubator?

2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
  3. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    Me too! I mean on the second hatch taking longer.. I didn’t really do anything except get different colorations of bird type.... same supplier.. my other ones started hatching on day 16.. this hatch only one early this morning and 1 early evening... I was so hopeful this time around too!! I felt more confident and my shipped eggs were just beautiful... and all felt heavy as I set them for lock down.
    I am just crossing my fingers more decide to hatch overnight!!
    So 18 is still like an “expected “ hatch date..right??
    But yea.. would love to know how long to keep them in the bator.. I thought I read like 25 days or something???

4. awmosby

awmosby In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2019
    Thus I reach day 21 with no further developments, so I think I'll be pulling the plug on this one.:barnie

Out of 72 eggs, 26 were infertile and 4 hatched. Unfortunately, I woke up to find one chick dead in the brooder and one runt is acting lethargic; I don't know if it is going to make it or not. I'll float test the remainders, but I'm pretty sure they're all DiS. :hit
    So, barring further surprises, the final count is 3/72 or... 4%--2 silvers and one pharaoh.

Fortunately my first hatch of, primarily, A&Ms should mature within the next couple weeks, so the next hatch is home-grown. :wee

Bluemonster107 likes this.
  5. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I think your humidity is way too high for quail.
    I think you will have better luck running it closer to 30% throughout and only bumping it up to 50% for hatch time/once you see the first external pip.

Bluemonster107 likes this.
  6. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    @awmosby ... me too.. I’m on day 20.. 16 eggs.. 2 hatched on day 17 and no signs of anything else.. I too will be pulling the plug tomorrow at day 21. I am gonna open them up and see what was going on or not going on
    I think I am going to try what @Texas Kiki suggest with a 30% humidity in a few days with a new batch... I had been running a 50%humidity and at lock down would bump up to 65%

Texas Kiki, awmosby and Danny C. like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: