Second homemade incubator attempt......pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by barkerbeau, Nov 20, 2011.

1. barkerbeau

barkerbeau Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2011
    a few months ago i cruised this site and got ideas from several of the homemade incubators. I built one from an old ice chest that worked better than i could hope for. So far it has hatched 11/12 eggs on first hatch. 8/10 on second hatch. and currently has 40 quail eggs due to hatch in a few days. Well, that got my confidence up and i tried it again. This time i cruised this site again and made a large cabinet with a false back. Im showing off a little bit but I am also asking if anyone can see any glaring mistakes I made that i missed. rough specs are.
    36" high, 16" wide, 16" deep.
    false back 2" from the back to allow air flow opened about 2" at the bottom for airflow
    120mm computer fan blowing into the false back with the top heated by at top 100 watt bulb.
    i got some pictures of both bators but since this is my first time posting pics....im hoping i get this right

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  2. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Good luck!!!!

3. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Looks good, right now Im working on a small fidge, converting it into a incubator, with false back, & thinking about useing the heating element out of a 1602n hovabator insteed of the light bulb setup, & useing a wafer thermomstat, anyone ever used this type of heating element in a bator this size, I tried it once & it worked good in a wine cooler.

4. Floridachicken1958

Floridachicken1958 Lost but not forgotten

Jun 10, 2011
    CENTRAL FLORIDA
    Quote:First of all [​IMG] and 2nd does it hold humidity and temp without warping the wood or shrinking the wood without having some kind of protection on the wood?

5. stines4

stines4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Chatsworth
    we just finished and incubator! its working great so far!
    [​IMG]

6. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

did you seal the wood on the inside

on the red one why did you put the window on the side and not the front ? do you have a pic. of the inside ?

good luck

7. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    The incubator looks great.[​IMG] My husband wants to build me a large one like yours, but my question is how well does the light bulb on the top work? Since heat rises would it would better on the bottom?

8. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Thats why you put a false back in it, that fan draws the hot air in at the top & blows it out the bottom so the air is never setteled its always moveing.

9. barkerbeau

barkerbeau Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2011
    150 watt bulb only gets temp to 92. What other budget options for heat source? More lights? Also, I live in south louisiana so humidity is not a problem. Also, I have temp fluctuations from 92 on top shelf and 89 on the bottom. Could this be from too much or not enough airflow?

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Try adding insulation to the outside. Or use two 100 w rather than one 150w.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by