Second lab-grown chicken product cleared for human consumption

Geena

Free Ranging
9 Years
Aug 17, 2014
Maryland
WASHINGTON, March 21 (Reuters) - California-based cultivated meat company GOOD Meat has received clearance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to bring its lab-grown chicken to market, according to agency documents released on Tuesday.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/s...human-consumption-by-us-regulator-2023-03-21/

FD7TLWZKTZK2FC3OK6Y6MXMHDA.jpg

Yuck. I was just listening to a podcast about this, but it was made before this announcement and was just talking about the implications of lab-grown meat consumption.

I truly believe that the more you complicate things, the more you really complicate things. The more natural, the better. Who knows what the effects of long-term consumption of this meat is. We've recently had a movement within the food industry, driven by consumers, to return to more natural and whole food because research proves time and time again that it's healthier and better for our bodies. Nutrients that occur naturally in food, as opposed to being added in, are much more bio-available and thus better absorbed and used by our bodies. That's why I don't understand the trend in this direction.

Ugh no thanks. Trying to 'ethically' source meat in this way just to take the guilt of eating meat off our shoulders only convolutes our place here on this planet while simultaneously removing us completely from being participants on it.
I agree. And I do not think there is anything inherently wrong with eating meat. You'd never expect a wild animal to feel bad about eating another animal to survive, so why should we?

I've also heard that the source genes/cells they use come from live fetuses of the animals.

It wouldn't be happening if there weren't money to be made.
Good point. The money will be made out of guilting people into thinking eating meat is wrong. Meanwhile, they use a ton of power to run all these processing plants and have to spend a bunch of money on the equipment to make it, which will bring more plastics and other bad materials into existence.

I agree that there's a lot of waste and pollution that goes into processing and shipping real meat, but I don't get how this solves the problem. If more people raised backyard meat or there were more small-scale meat operations, there would be less waste and pollution. I don't see how the fake meat thing solves any problems.

Obviously it is money to be made.

I agree that there's a lot of waste and pollution that goes into processing and shipping real meat, but I don't get how this solves the problem.
I don't either. Even if I studied it I'm not clued in enough to make that comparison. A lot will depend in what assumptions you make and factors you consider. It also depends on what you consider to be a problem. Cattle and other animals are one of the largest contributors to greenhouse gasses, some people consider that to be a problem. Managing poop from the big operations is huge and can contribute to pollution. A few years back Oklahoma sued Arkansas, saying Arkansans spreading chicken poop from the commercial chicken operations on pasture and hay fields was polluting the Illinois River, for example. Look it up if you wish. Some people don't consider greenhouse gasses or polluting rivers to be problems. I don't know how this process compares in those regards.

If more people raised backyard meat or there were more small-scale meat operations, there would be less waste and pollution. I
What makes you think this has anything to do with small-scale meat operations? That's not where the money is. That's not where the most impact is.

I don't like it or trust it either. I much prefer mine to what I could buy now at the store. No matter what kind of blather they put out, I don't think their real motive is anything other than money.

What makes you think this has anything to do with small-scale meat operations? That's not where the money is. That's not where the most impact is.

I don't like it or trust it either. I much prefer mine to what I could buy now at the store. No matter what kind of blather they put out, I don't think their real motive is anything other than money.
Yeah, essentially money is what it comes down to. But to me, they wouldn't make so much money if people were able to see through the BS. If people knew that this "meat" isn't any real improvement and has unknown repercussions, they might steer their money elsewhere. But the companies will tell them their "meat" is more ethical and will try to guilt consumers into buying the fake meat to feel better.

It's kind of like the Impossible burgers thing. I don't think there is any less pollution that goes into the production and transportation of the Impossible "meat", and I don't think using vegetables from crops that use a bunch of pesticides and chemicals that kill billions of bugs, plus other animals and habitats, is any more ethical than eating beef. And on top of all that, the Impossible burger (and similar vegetarian "meat" products) are HIGHLY processed foods that our bodies cannot readily absorb nutrients from. They aren't even good for you. Eating a grass-fed beef burger is much better in every category in my opinion. But the Impossible people just have the marketing skills to make people believe otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom