1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Second molt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ShelleyN, Feb 4, 2012.

1. ShelleyN

ShelleyN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Denver, CO
    My SLW appears to be having a second molt. Of my three, she suffered the most with a molt in November, and my BPR didn't molt at all. Anyone heard of this?

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    How old is she? Chickens go through several molts during their first year of life. I wrote this blog post about molting that discusses when and how you can help them get through it.

3. ShelleyN

Mar 15, 2011
    Denver, CO
    She'll be a year on Friday!

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Molting again or still molting? What happened in November that clued you in that she was molting and what is happening now? I think it's important to rule out parasites when you're dealing with feather loss that doesn't seem to make sense.

5. ShelleyN

Mar 15, 2011
    Denver, CO
    We knew she was molting in November when she got a naked neck and we saw her feathers all over everywhere. She took it hard, but with TLC, feathers grew back and she started laying again. I noticed feathers in the coop last week and sticking out of her at odd angles and her acting a little grouchy again and I don't think she's laying this week. What's the best way to check for parasites? If one has them, won't all?

I just checked her over and she has pin feathers all over her chest and underwings. Her cycle is all confused I think.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  6. Kickin' Chickin'

Kickin' Chickin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Upstate New York
    Perhaps the girls are taking advantage of a particularly mild winter.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have a hen that molted her entire body, grew it back in, then molted all of her hackle feathers. Sometimes they molt in stages. Mine hasn't started laying again yet though. (although she's close now, her comb is getting bright red again)

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Yep, I'd guess that she's still molting and just taking her sweet time. I noticed that my 9-month EEs molted over the winter also but they didn't stop laying during the process or lose enough feathers in any one location to be noticed... other than Gertie taking a week off when she dropped her entire tail at once (she got right back to it as soon as the new feathers started to open). Maybe your girl is only stopping when she's particularly taxed by regrowth?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by