Second opinion regarding death of small non-thriving jumbo

Jun 28, 2021
It doesn't seem to be a disease, I'm referring to her as a hen since I have sexlings. She was born very small and is still way behind the others, even one bird that hatched a couple days later. My others are full and feathering nicely, I thought maybe she was a standard. I've told my husband many times, not sure she'll make it. Today I heard this shrill coming from the brooder, so I went in and checked. One of the other birds I think was signaling there's a problem. She was in the corner with her head propped up, looked lethargic, obviously in distress and having trouble breathing. I grabbed a napkin and pulled her out thinking I'd need to contain her but she started gasping for air and it was over pretty quickly.

No blood, or other bodily fluids with the exception, looks like she messed her self a little right before her dying. She was fine yesterday and this morning.

Question: Since she was so small and seemed to not be thriving, should I be be doing any precautionary actions with the birds? I have powdered Electrolyte I can put in their water just in case. No weird blood or diarrhea (sorry) in the brooder. I honestly think she was just not meant to be.

Thank you for your input.

Tammy

Attachments

• tempImageJ5pRnB.png
    tempImageJ5pRnB.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
  • tempImageac7Obo.png
    tempImageac7Obo.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
It doesn't seem to be a disease, I'm referring to her as a hen since I have sexlings. She was born very small and is still way behind the others, even one bird that hatched a couple days later. My others are full and feathering nicely, I thought maybe she was a standard. I've told my husband many times, not sure she'll make it. Today I heard this shrill coming from the brooder, so I went in and checked. One of the other birds I think was signaling there's a problem. She was in the corner with her head propped up, looked lethargic, obviously in distress and having trouble breathing. I grabbed a napkin and pulled her out thinking I'd need to contain her but she started gasping for air and it was over pretty quickly.

No blood, or other bodily fluids with the exception, looks like she messed her self a little right before her dying. She was fine yesterday and this morning.

Question: Since she was so small and seemed to not be thriving, should I be be doing any precautionary actions with the birds? I have powdered Electrolyte I can put in their water just in case. No weird blood or diarrhea (sorry) in the brooder. I honestly think she was just not meant to be.

Thank you for your input.

Tammy
Imo she was just a runt that failed to thrive. Just watch the others for signs of illness, but this sudden failure is often the case with the tiny ones.

If you find yourself in this situation in the future, my best suggestions are separate it out with the next one or 2 smallest. Put the feed dish (not water) directly under the light. I’ve found with chicks who aren’t thriving, it helps that if they’re sleeping right on the food, they’ll grab more quick bites here and there, and if it’s under the light, it’s the warmest place, plus mine like to rest their heads on the rim of the lids I use for baby bowls. Keep the water out of the direct range of the light, you don’t want them sleeping in the water dish.

Imo she was just a runt that failed to thrive. Just watch the others for signs of illness, but this sudden failure is often the case with the tiny ones.

If you find yourself in this situation in the future, my best suggestions are separate it out with the next one or 2 smallest. Put the feed dish (not water) directly under the light. I’ve found with chicks who aren’t thriving, it helps that if they’re sleeping right on the food, they’ll grab more quick bites here and there, and if it’s under the light, it’s the warmest place, plus mine like to rest their heads on the rim of the lids I use for baby bowls. Keep the water out of the direct range of the light, you don’t want them sleeping in the water dish.
Thank you that was very helpful. If I recall she was screaming in the incubator so I thought having all the warm bodies would help her. Oh well, we gave it a good shot. The younger one down was still twice her size. I'm going to clean out the food, water and brooder just to be on the safe side.

Appreciate your stopping by!

Back
Top Bottom