Second opinions please on 1 month old Speckled Sussexes! Are they all Roos?

Gorgeous! I think hawks are beautiful too - except when they are eating one of my chickens brains out.
Ive only ever had boring sex links and production breeds; I love seeing exotic beautiful chickens.
Sorry to hear that! I think my heart would break if that happened to mine so I don’t let mine free range unless I’m the one watching them like a hawk. I don’t have the heart to butcher such a beautiful rooster so I hope to rehome or as a last resort, try a rooster collar.

I ended up with so many roosters this time around 🤣 but all the ones who had red combs early were males all my girls stayed light even now at 4 months
Interesting! That’s encouraging. It’s my first time hatching out chicks so this is all new to me. But it’s kind of fun speculating plus if one of these cockerels crows, I might be in trouble with my neighbors!

I picked up two SS back in April. Turns out one is a cockerel. I started noticing differences back around weeks 5, 6, 7 he was just blowing past her in growth which is funny because initially he was smaller. I noticed his legs were bigger, feathers were bigger, and comb. I was hoping it was a pullet but no such luck will probably need to re-home soon. Here they are at about 5 weeks which you can see differences and at about 11 weeks which is more clearer its a roo

Attachments

• Hershey Pat 11 Weeks.jpg
    Hershey Pat 11 Weeks.jpg
    773.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Hershey Pat2 11 Weeks.jpg
    Hershey Pat2 11 Weeks.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210427_183548.jpg
    20210427_183548.jpg
    479.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210427_183558.jpg
    20210427_183558.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 8
I picked up two SS back in April. Turns out one is a cockerel. I started noticing differences back around weeks 5, 6, 7 he was just blowing past her in growth which is funny because initially he was smaller. I noticed his legs were bigger, feathers were bigger, and comb. I was hoping it was a pullet but no such luck will probably need to re-home soon. Here they are at about 5 weeks which you can see differences and at about 11 weeks which is more clearer its a roo
They’re both so pretty...especially the boy. Yes, my 3 suspects have thicker yellowish looking legs but only one has a pink comb and visible waddles. Mine are still kind of young so I guess it’s just a waiting game for now...

Hi all! I hatched out 6 Speckled Sussex babies exactly one month ago and suspect all 3 below are Roos but wanted second opinions before I rehome them. These 3 are more vibrant colored than the other 3 I assume are girls. They have more white on their chests with bright mahogany on the sides of their chests whereas the girls are more brownish. Their body stance is also more upright with a full roundness in the chest. What do you think?

#1 is usually found strutting around and patrolling the perimeter of the run, and already has deep pink waddles. He’s the only one of my chicks with greenish iridescent feathers on his back. Mama photo bombed him in this one.View attachment 2719778

#2 is yellowish in the comb but today, stared down my full grown Buff Orpington hen for several intense seconds. She won. No waddles coming in yet.
View attachment 2719781
#3 has been seen bumping chests with the other two and just has a more roosterish body. Mama still doesn’t trust me taking photos of her babies.
View attachment 2719802
1 Yep 2 Pullet 3 Pullet

Back
Top Bottom