Second post and its still not a good one, EDIT video on page 2 help..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Vyraal, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Vyraal

Vyraal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    Hey ya'll, bad news after my first post. The flea problem is cleared but I lost 3 of the 5 chicks, one choked to death and we couldn't reach the problem, and the other two of unknown causes. Now I'm down to my last two and I am absolutely terrified of loosing them too. So here's the problem, a spider hatched its eggs /somewhere/ in the room but I cannot find the source and I found a single baby in the brooder, and one of my chicks is acting off, but....I don't know if its due to a bite, or this mystery illness. The other chick that is acting fine also has something up, when it pooped last *in my lap*half came out but half stayed near the vent and I had to pull it out of the chicks vent completely. No discomfort on the chicks part, and there don't seem to be any trace of worms but I'm concered for my babies. Any help is greatly desired!ps: sorry for typos I'm usuing my phone and can't see the words!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    What kind of spider? Most spiders are in more danger of chicks than the other way around.

3. Vyraal

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    Quote:The spiders are freshly hatched so I can't really tell, they're just green dots with a bunch of legs. But that is good news.

4. Vyraal

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    Update: the chick that was acting weird is obviously not ok...its hard to explain but when it was sleeping last, it was laying completely on its side with one wing semi out. I'm new to chickens so could this be mareks or a neuro disease? I don't want to suffer through loosing another baby, and if it needs to be culled I don't want it to suffer!

5. nubbin

nubbin Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Spiders of that size wouldn't pose an issue for the chick and young spiders generally disperse themselves fairly quickly so they shouldn't be around very long. You've got something else going on.

6. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    What is the temp of brooder? Chickens sometimes lay on their side with a wing out to cool down. Is there a spot available without heat they can go to?

[​IMG]

7. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    I agree, check the temp in your brooder. it's common for a chick to lay on its side with a wing stuck out. i always thought mine did it to warm up. what are you feeding them? be sure they have food and water at ALL times. i hope everything turns out okay. btw [​IMG]

8. Vyraal

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    They being fed medicated chick starter and have a dish of not to deep water they can't tip over at all times, and yes there's a hot side that transitions to a much cooler side if they need to cool down, and so far the little darling is ok, but still not looking 100%. I am dipping their beaks slightly in the water to get them to drink every now and then, but they seem to be drinking on their own pretty well. EDIT: Just check on them and the one is still acting off, but now both are having this problem of *quite normal*poop sticking to the feathers around their vent, is it a result of laying down and pooping and not bothering to get up or..? Made em drink some more water anyway.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  9. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Try getting some vitamins and electrolytes into them. My fav is a little packet os Sav-A-Chick. It should perk them back up. Also you said you had 5 so maybe it is a genetic issue. What breed are they?

10. Vyraal

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    They are black silkie bantams of the same brood so I'm sure its a genetic problem, and the 4th one...well she died, got really weak and died. And now I think the last chick has whatever it is. There's just no time anymore, it won't even drink...I've never lost a chick before and now I loose 5 in a week..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by